Fwd: LINGUIST 30Q

Mon Jun 14 18:01:53 UTC 2004

i seem to be turning into a ranting curmudgeon; the events of the past
year have left me with little patience for nonsense (like the blind
application of "rules" from style sheets, as below), though i have
endless patience for things i consider to be important.

in the (slightly edited) exchange below, provided for your
entertainment, i demand the reinstatement of a comma in a course
description.  i'm pleased to say that the stanford bulletin editor
replied with a charming note conceding my point and restoring the
comma, a decision applauded by both my department chair and the provost
of the university.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)

Begin forwarded message: