Water-boarding (May 2004)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 15 07:03:09 UTC 2004

WATER BOARDING + TORTURE--649 Google hits, 72 Google Groups hits
WATERBOARDING + TORTURE--114 Google hits,   10 Google Groups hits

   I haven't yet checked "water-boarding" on FACTIVA.
   Recommend it to the Word Spy.  "Meanderthal?"  Larry Horn posted that here
two years ago!

(GOOGLE)
http://www.andrewsullivan.com/
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

TORTURE: Well, we're getting closer to understanding what's been going on.
Here's a nugget from Newsweek:
> White House officials told reporters that such abstract legal reasoning was
> insignificant and did not reflect the president's orders. But NEWSWEEK has
> learned that Yoo's August 2002 memo was prompted by CIA questions about what
> to do with a top Qaeda captive, Abu Zubaydah, who had turned uncooperative.
> And it was drafted after White House meetings convened by George W. Bush's
> chief counsel, Alberto Gonzales, along with Defense Department general counsel
> William Haynes and David Addington, Vice President Dick Cheney's counsel, who
> discussed specific interrogation techniques, says a source familiar with the
> discussions. Among the methods they found acceptable: "water-boarding," or
> dripping water into a wet cloth over a suspect's face, which can feel like
> drowning; and threatening to bring in more-brutal interrogators from other
> nations.
This kind of tactic was designed specifically for a few top al Qaeda
captives; but it was apparently transferred to Abu Ghraib as well.

(GOOGLE GROUPS) ("waterboarding")
Re: Enterprise's Season 3 Deconstructed
... (OK, class, raise your hands if you know what waterboarding is.) I am ...
the show's
content think it is reasonable for a Star Trek captain to torture a prisoner
rec.arts.startrek.current - Jun 7, 2004 by Edward McArdle - View Thread (14
articles)

The Neo-Con Iraq Glossary
... conditions for interrogation: Torture. Related terms: "stress positions"
(eg, "If
you fall off the box, you'll be electrocuted!"); "waterboarding" (Not as ...
uk.current-events.terrorism - Jun 4, 2004 by Nes - View Thread (1 article

)Did Bush Intentionally Mislead Supreme Court?
... to the Times, those practices include something called "waterboarding" --
a process
by ... A "pedestrian" definition of "torture and that sort of thing" would
also ...
alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater - May 20, 2004 by Gandalf Grey - View
Thread (1 article

)The Bush Regime: Covering Up the Coverup
... given little guidance about the means (short of lethal torture) deemed
appropriate. ... These
included waterboarding, in which a detainee is pushed under water and ...
alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater - May 17, 2004 by Gandalf Grey - View
Thread (1 article)

Re: Nick Berg beheading video is fake
... would be less likely to be treated improperly, and torture was less ...
Times yesterday,
which reported that CIA interrogators used "waterboarding" - a euphemism ...
alt.support.marriage - May 17, 2004 by Xenos the elder - View Thread (34
articles

)Re: Iraqi In Custody Tortured To Death
... html According to today's New York Times, the CIA subjects its "high
profile" torture
victims to such medieval practices as "waterboarding"--strapping the ...
alt.impeach.bush - May 17, 2004 by Theo Brady Bunch - View Thread (3
articles)

(GOOGLE GROUPS) ("water-boarding")
Poor al Qeada
... that CIA interrogators used graduated methods of persuasion like "water
boarding."
(Almost sounds ... had information that would prevent 9/11, would you torture
him ...
ia.talk.misc - May 13, 2004 by Dan Larsen - View Thread (15 articles)

It's Obvious Prison Torture Wasn't Isolated, Bu$h Lied YET AGAIN ...
... water boarding" in which the prisoner is forcibly pushed under water to
the point
that he believes he will drown. "This would be a clear case of torture," ...
alt.fan.howard-stern - May 13, 2004 by ---= Ö§âmâ ßíñ Këñ0ßí =--- - View
Thread (3 articles)

OT - Are these War Crimes?
... use of harsh interrogation techniques, including the water-boarding
tactic used ... in
violation of American statutes that prohibit torture, degrading treatment or
soc.culture.thai - May 13, 2004 by ian - View Thread (3 articles)

[NYTr] RHC News Summary - May 13, 2004
... Representative Jane Harman said she saw "cruel, sadistic torture."
Democratic Senator
Bill ... who was subjected to a technique known as water boarding, in which a
misc.activism.progressive - May 13, 2004 by nytr at tania.blythe-systems.com -

)CIA Torture ("interrogations") are "too brutal" says even the FBI
... a detainee who was subjected to a technique known as water boarding, in
which ... the
secret interrogation rules say the methods stop short of torture and serious
talk.politics.misc - May 13, 2004 by Economic Democracy - View Thread (3
articles)

Did the DOJ lie to the SC?!(NDC)
... agents' use of (in Justice Ginsburg's words) "mild torture." Today,
however ... graduated
levels of force, including a technique known as 'water boarding,' in which
rec.music.gdead - May 13, 2004 by John Doherty - <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=jgnospamdoherty-38558A.10443513052004%40netnews.comcast.net&rnum=30View Thread (1 article)