antedating of "roller coaster" 1884

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Jun 16 00:01:50 UTC 2004

M-W and OED use 1888.

Most webpages about roller coasters say that the Coney Island one in 1884 was first.  I think the fellow even had a patent.  I'll check that out later.

But..........they forgot to name it "roller coaster" or at least to make sure the papers in the US gave them credit.

Instead, from 7 August, 1884  Frederick(MD) _Weekly News_  6/1-2

(dateline Philadelphia, Pa. July 29, 1884 referring to Fairmount Park)

<<Additional signs tell them that this is the "Wonderful Roller Coaster.">>

Just for good measure, the correspondent used the exact term again later in the article.  It cost a nickel to ride, covered 500 feet in 11 seconds, and was 28 ft. high at the tallest point.  And you came back to where you started.

Sam Clements