dirty words in dictionaries: semi-final thoughts

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Jun 18 01:46:55 UTC 2004

Using APS at Proquest, Wessely's dictionaries seem to turn up first about
1868.  That was his German one.

English-French shows up in 1870, English-Italian  and Spanish-English in
1871.

The first cite for the Latin-English Dic is 1892.  Doesn't mean it wasn't
published before then, only that it existed by that time.

The exact cite is advertising "Routledge's Pocket Dictionaries."  It lists
"Wessely's Spanish-English and English-Spanish" as well as the French,
German and Italian ones.

There is a "Latin-English and English-Latin" dictionary listed after those
four, and the price is the same(75 cents).  I can only assume that it was by
Wessely.  Of course, we don't know if "cunt" was in that 1892 edition.

Just trying to suggest that the item was available by at least 1892.

SC