Millionaire's Salad & Tek-Tek Soup (1958); What's Cookin' (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 20 05:50:07 UTC 2004

MILLIONAIRE'S SALAD & TEK-TEK SOUP

MILLIONAIRE'S SALAD--181 Google hits, 6 Google Groups hits
MILLIONAIRE'S SALAD + NEW ZEALAND--93 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits
MILLIONAIRE'S SALAD + SEYCHELLES--25 Google hits, 5 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE NEWS)
1 IN 130 AMERICANS A MILLIONAIRE
New York Post, NY - Jun 15, 2004
By BILL HOFFMANN. June 16, 2004 -- Americans are richer than ever — with one
in every 130 people in the United States a millionaire, a study reveals. ...

Millionaire club grows
Honeycomb Connect (subscription), Canada - Jun 16, 2004
New York, NY — There were an estimated 7.7 million high-net-worth individuals
in the world at the end of 2003, up 7.5% or a net 500,000 people compared
with ...

   "Millionaire's Salad" is a dish from the Seychelles and other places.  The
revised OED has New Zealand first (1982), but has the Seychelles second.  I
found the following while browsing through WINE AND FOOD...I'll do a
Seychelles-Madagascar trip eventually, but there was political unrest in Madagascar.
   (The above NEW YORK POST story came with a picture of a young guy on a
yacht.  No millionaire does parking tickets in the Bronx five days a week.)

(OED)
millionaire's salad orig. N.Z., (a dish of or containing) the heart of a
palm, esp. the nikau.
1982 D. BURTON Two Hundred Years N.Z. Food & Cookery 7 Succulent and sweet to
the taste, nikau heart later became known as ‘*millionaire's salad’ because
the tree dies when the heart is removed. 1999 Jerusalem Post (Nexis) 12 Feb.
29 Called ‘Millionaire's Salad’ in the Seychelle Islands, this salad is based
on fresh palm hearts which grow wild on the islands.

   Spring Number 1958, no. 97, WINE AND FOOD, "Seychelles Fare" by Stanley
Jones, pg. 10:
   What are the national dishes?  The first that comes to mind is tek-tek
soup.  This is made from a species of tiny cockle which is easily collected by
burrowing in the sand of the foreshore at any time when the tide is out or just
beginning to come in.  A dish similar to civet-de-lievre, made from the
fruit-eating bat, is another.  The white jelly-like contents of the coco-de-mer,
that nut of a palm tree unique to the Seychelles which General Gordon of Khartoum
averred was the Forbidden Fruit of the Garden of Eden, is a gustatory
curiosity which I find to be disappointingly uninteresting, though I am told that it
is more tasty if flavoured with maraschino or similar liqueurs.  Infinitely
more appetizing is palmiste, the heart of the top of a wild palm.  This is cut
from where the leaves begin to sprout; either chopped up raw and eaten as a
salad, or boiled; its nutty flavour is very attractive.  It can also be marinated
and bottled for use as required.  The cultivated coconut palm can also be
used in the same way but, unless the heart is taken from a tree felled by a
strong wind, it is rather expensive--hence the name "millionaire's salad".

MORE "HAIR ON YOUR CHEST"

   The Chinese have lots of chest hair?

   Spring Number 1958, no. 97, WINE AND FOOD, "Marco Polo's Noodles":
   With the Chinese the thousand-year-old eggs are taken with a grain of
salt--that is, it is one of their pastimes for amusement to serve these morsels to
foreign visitors and watch keenly for their reaction. (...)
   "The eggs will put hair on your chest", the old-time Chinese are fond of
telling their youngsters.

"WHAT'S COOKING?" (continued)

WHAT'S COOKING--435,000 Google hits, 4,760 Google Groups hits

    I'll re-check with Newspaperarchive.  See the ADS-L archives for a 1942
Gene Krupa speculation that this dates from 1934-35.  I just spotted the
following:

   September 1955, CULINARY REVIEW--THE CHEFS' NATIONAL MAGAZINE, pg. 27,
col. 2 cartoon:
(One chef to another--ed.)
   "WILL YOU STOP SAYING 'WHAT'S COOKING'?"

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
What's cooking?
JW>(2) So come see what's cooking at Applebee's Festa Italiana. ... What's
cooking" is a code phrase for "what's happening" sometimes - it's a play on
words. ...
alt.usage.english - Nov 18, 1992 by Paul Burnett - View Thread (30 articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Mansfield News Journal     Saturday, June 28, 1941 Mansfield, Ohio
...YOUR SILENCE.' BRAHD SAY, WHAT'S COOKING I .on, i GET I TRYIHG 70
FRAME.....AND THE "LADY" BRAIN DISCOMEK CLUE so WHAT, COOL off, Qmss i MISSED PLANS
THK..

 Key West Citizen   Friday, September 26, 1941 Key West, Florida
...Mtina fantastic at first, but WHAT'S COOKING? New luminous plastic lure
for..

   Helena Independent   Tuesday, September 30, 1941 Helena, Montana
...they are not saying just now WHAT'S COOKING in the future pot.
Physically.....of the New Yorks is still favoring what was a severe sprain and chipped..

   Gettysburg Times     Thursday, January 30, 1941 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

...quite a crowd out there. WHAT'S COOKING in. The door opened wide.
anoV.....man Charlie to do for the variety show what Parade did for the movies, what..

   Nevada State Journal     Saturday, August 02, 1941 Reno, Nevada
...me a buzz now and then to see WHAT'S COOKING When I inquire why she
is.....actual story of a small contractor and what happened to him, play by play,
in..

   Nevada State Journal     Thursday, October 30, 1941 Reno, Nevada
...go into conference to find out WHAT'S COOKING, which they don't until I
say.....TO DO Everybody is trying to guess what the future has in store,
especially..

   Gettysburg Times     Friday, March 07, 1941 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
...surrounded by skyscrapers. WHAT'S COOKING here. Are_; yoii
.ciirious.....doing average things for a reels. What does Alice do? First. :time you see..

   Nevada State Journal     Friday, March 21, 1941 Reno, Nevada
...word from Phillips, Gammick and WHAT'S COOKING Cashill, the attaches sang
"God..

   Newark Advocate  Monday, February 14, 1938 Newark, Ohio
...an' lifting up pot lids to see WHAT'S COOKING an' jest generally snooping.
So.....if he had had any knowlmanding to know what we are edge in 1917 of
what came to..

   Stevens Point Daily Journal  Saturday, September 11, 1915 Stevens Point,
Wisconsin
...bunch of soldiers listening to WHAT'S COOKING for supper, and over here Is
the.....father's very decided tastes in COOKING, and it would take months
to..

   Charleston Daily Mail    Saturday, November 26, 1932 Charleston, West
Virginia
...nuls at all. I simply must see WHAT'S COOKING ...I'm going to lift
the.....and home influences are paramount. What his mother does, what ,his father..

   Charleston Daily Mail    Friday, November 25, 1932 Charleston, West
Virginia
...of soda in it. I'd like to know WHAT'S COOKING ...think I'll take a Some
dish.....Out of the Charleston Daily Mail's COOKING pot of good ideas will
soon..

   Helena Independent   Friday, May 10, 1940 Helena, Montana
...MOTOR [OAIHiYSIfM LOOK WHAT'S COOKIN' AT TBE mflRLOUJ STARTS
SUNDAYI.....could not be reached to explain what had happened. Belgians stood in the..

   Helena Independent   Wednesday, October 08, 1941 Helena, Montana
...I believe you. Mr. Wade, WHAT'S COOKIN'. Wallace Wade, Duke My team,
I.....conversation to the specific and asked what McCarthy thought of Sturm. He..

 Iowa City Press Citizen    Wednesday, April 23, 1941 Iowa City, Iowa
...BIG DAYS ENDS TUESDAY WOW Look WHAT'S COOKIN" HERE'S YOUR APPETIZING DISH
OF.....and -develop a definite dea as to what to do in event of either a
Hitler..

 Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune     Saturday, November 29, 1941 Wisconsin
Rapids, Wisconsin
...even a wrestling fan would know WHAT'S COOKIN'. Antigo in Easy 29-13 Win
Over.....it has a dangerous aerial attack. "WHAT'S more, the fact we have two
teams..

 Deming Headlight   Friday, May 23, 1941 Deming, New Mexico
...NIGHT SUNDAY AND MONDAY LOOK WHAT'S COOKIN' Alive (and Kickin') The stars
of.....Charles Lombard Laughton in "They Knew What They Wanted" Yes, and we do
to it..

 Lima News  Sunday, December 07, 1941 Lima, Ohio
...Out By Chet Smith Hy'a Toots WHAT'S COOKIN'? BASEBALL'S MARKET OPENS
IN.....0., Dec. (AP) Warmed up by "let's see what we've got" games against..

 Lima News  Monday, December 22, 1941 Lima, Ohio
...MARCH OF TIME frtl.OR CARTOON "WHAT'S COOKIN DOC" NEWS EVENTS Attention
LIMA.....Read In 98 Of Every 100 Lima Homes" WHAT A SHOW DON'T MISS IT The
K.A.I'. I..

   Coshocton Tribune    Wednesday, December 06, 1939 Coshocton, Ohio
...rugs to prove they really know WHAT'S COOKIN'. When the city invited them
to a.....the November election, I know that is what they Mayor Treasure said.
know the..

   Zanesville Signal    Sunday, December 10, 1939 Zanesville, Ohio
...began to prove they really know WHAT'S COOKIN'. When the citv
invited.....we noticed the most mamHere's WHAT'S COOKIN1 Knocks Himself Cold Hail..

   Indiana Evening Gazette  Wednesday, December 06, 1939 Indiana,
Pennsylvania
...rugs to prove they really know WHAT'S COOKIN'. When the city invited them
to a.....old people alive than before. Just what does the term
arteriosclerosis mean..