busking

Mon Jun 21 23:42:24 UTC 2004

As a new subscriber, I was looking through the archives.  From Thu, 25
May 2000:

> Do others have hard evidence for busk in the US?  More than just
> personal knowledge of the term (which can be misleading)?

>From the magic/conjuring periodical _The New Phoenix_ #330 Oct 1955.

"Jardine Ellis was a sort of busking magician.  He would go to
some cafeteria in the afternoon and look for a likely prospect."

An electronic search also found "buskin":  "Frank Garcia back in the
magic fold again picking up the magic wand and doffing the buskin."
(_The Phoenix_ #253 18 April 1952)