Cemitas & Papalo; Life's a Beach (1984); Pina Colada (1950); Consumer Program

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 22 06:31:50 UTC 2004

CEMITAS & PAPALO

CEMITAS--233 Google hits, 65 Google Groups hits
PAPALO + HERB--104 Google hits, 20 Google Groups hits
   (Neither "cemita" nor "papalo" is in the OED)

   I just finished watching "Secret Life of the Sandwich" on the Food
Network.  I learned a few things.
   I learned that the "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" was probably
invented during World War II.  I learned that the "BLT" is never mentioned.  I
learned that, if you host a show like this, you can step into the Stage Deli in NYC
and take up ten minutes' air time of a thirty minute show to describe "your"
sandwich.  I learned that I should never waste my time watching the Food
Network or I'll go mad.
   "Secret Life of Popcorn" is coming soon--maybe Andy Smith is on
that...There's a "hot dog" show airing again on July 5th, if Gerald Cohen wants to go
mad.
   I mentioned "cemita" (a Mexican sandwich from Puebla) once before on
ADS-L..  There was the following nice write-up in last Wednesday's NEW YORK DAILY
NEWS food section.  "Cemita" and "papalo" are not yet in the Proquest LOS
ANGELES TIMES (now at 1964), but they'll appear somewhat soon.

(NY DAILY NEWS)
http://www.nydailynews.com/06-16-2004/city_life/food/story/203102p-175256c.htm
Mexico's street sub
A cemita plays its roll in the round
By RACHEL WHARTON

Tortas, we love you, but there's another Mexican sandwich that's winning our
hearts. Called a cemita, it's bigger, rounder and, sadly, a little harder to
find throughout the city.

Named for its circular, slightly sweet roll, cemitas are stacked with meats,
cheese and chilies, and are a classic street snack from the state of Puebla in
central Mexico. They most likely get their name from acemite, a Spanish word
referring to wheat flour.

"There are two things that distinguish cemitas from other sandwich-type
foods, and from tortas," says Karen Hursh Graber, food editor of the Web site
Mexico Connect (mexconnect.com) and an author of regional Mexican cookbooks. "One
is the roll itself, which is chewy, with a hard crust covered with sesame
seeds. The other is the herb papalo, which is pungent and is definitely the
distinguishing taste of cemitas."

Around town, you can get cemitas for $3 to $5 in Mexican neighborhoods such
as Sunset Park, Brooklyn, where many hail from Puebla. Several small
restaurants make and sell their own rolls, which are crowned with a small topknot. You
can find the all-important papalo, tasting a bit like cilantro on steroids, at
the corner bodegas.

Once you've got the basics, cemitas are open to interpretation. Most begin
with a layer of white, salty shredded string cheese called quesilla, a whole
chipotle pepper or pickled jalapeños and sliced avocado and onion.

Next, they're stuffed with all manner of fillings, including spicy pork,
steak, chicken or the traditional Milanesa - steak pounded paper-thin, breaded and
fried until crispy. You'll also find them with potatoes, refried beans or
lengua (cow's tongue) and patas (pickled pig's feet).

Those who've tried them find them unforgettable. "They are the food that I
crave most constantly, and I always head to the market to get one as soon as I
arrive in Puebla," says Marilyn Tausend, the author of many revered Mexican
cookbooks and the head of Culinary Adventures, which leads food tours of Mexico.

In Puebla, says Tausend, the cemitas are usually sold in markets; one in
particular in Puebla has stall after stall of them, "with clusters of metal chairs
and tables around so people can enjoy them at their leisure. I've been
addicted ever since I had my first bite many, many years ago."

If you want to give cemitas a try, here's where to find them:
Del Valle Restaurant & Deli, 665 10th Ave. (between 46th and 47th Sts.),
cemitas weekends only, (212) 262-5173
La Flor Bakery, 40-21 Fifth Ave., Brooklyn (718) 633-1254
Los Compadres Deli and Bakery, 58-07 Fifth Ave., Brooklyn, no phone.

     Papalo: Soul of a sandwich
In addition to its round roll, a cemita is defined by the little-known herb
papalo, which can be found in several Hispanic markets in town (including
Juquilita Grocery, 4216 Fifth Ave., Brooklyn). Its name hails from the words papa
lotl, or butterfly, from the Aztec dialect still spoken in Puebla. Grown in hot
climates, the plant has round leaves, a pungent scent and a strong flavor.
It's sometimes found in vases on tables in Mexico, so the leaves can be torn off
and sprinkled on dishes before they're eaten. You can try it in salsas or
guacamole, too.

The basic cemita
Serves 11 cemita roll, split horizontally and toasted (or substitute a
high-quality, chewy, seeded hamburger roll)
4-5 ¼-inch slices of avocado, cut lengthwise
3-4 large papalo leaves (May substitute cilantro or epazote, but papalo is
best.)
1 whole chipotle pepper in adobo
Filling of your choice, such as spicy pork, steak, shredded chicken,
pan-fried potatoes or refried beans
3-4 thin slices of white onion
3 ounces quesilla cheese, or another string cheese, shreddedBuild sandwiches
by layering the avocado, papalo, chili pepper and filling, topping it with the
onions and cheese.

Originally published on June 15, 2004

LIFE'S A BEACH

   For those whose summer etymologies just can't end with "tar beach," I
re-checked this one.

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark   LIFE'S A BEACH
Goods and Services  (CANCELLED) IC 025. US 039. G & S: Sportswear-Namely,
Slacks, Shorts, T-Shirts, Shirts, Swimwear and Beach Coverups. FIRST USE:
19840222. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19840222
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   73484377
Filing Date June 11, 1984
Current Filing Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis   1A
Published for Opposition    February 26, 1985
Registration Number 1334439
Registration Date   May 7, 1985
Owner   (REGISTRANT) Life's A Beach, Inc. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 132 S. Oak
Park Ave. Oak Park ILLINOIS 60302
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record  Basil E. Demeur
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date   February 19, 1992

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  Other 9 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 19, 1985. p. B10 (1
page)
(A name of a horse--ed.)

    2.  Display Ad 302 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 29, 1986. p. L_I_17 (1
 page)

    3.  Beachy Keen
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Mar 15, 1987. p.
SM19 (1 page)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
   Frederick Post   Thursday, November 21, 1985 Frederick, Maryland
...WeAther Weii As You Know LIFE'S A BEACH (XmAs Hits) AND THEN YOU BUY
Hurry..

   Frederick Post   Saturday, November 23, 1985 Frederick, Maryland
...WeAther Well As You Know LIFE'S A BEACH (XmAs Hits) AND THEN YOU BUY
Hurry..

PINA COLADA

   OED is nearing this entry, and I don't think that I posted this.  It's
more than just "strained pineapple" here.  I provided the Cuban 1922 citation
that MERRIAM-WEBSTER now uses.
   I re-checked for the LOS ANGELES TIMES, but there's nothing there yet.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    AT THE BAR
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 16, 1950. p. XX3 (1
page):
   Drinks in the West Indies range from Martinique's famous rum [unch to
Cuba's _pina colada_ (rum, pineapple and coconut milk).  Key West has a variety of
lime swizzles and punches, and Granadians use nutmeg in their rum drinks.
Cubans and Puerto Ricans make a variety of tasty and exotic fruit beverages,
These include _guanabana_ (soursop juice), _fruta bomba_ (papaya), watermelon
juice, muskmelon juice and a drink of almond blended with banana juice.

CONSUMER PROGRAMMING=INFOMERCIALS

   From "PRIME TIME" by Phil Mushnick, SUNDAY NEW YORK POST, TV WEEK, 20 June
2004, pg. 12, col. 3:

   Those who study the cable TV industry begin to recognize that it has a
language all its own, one that makes good sound bad and bad sound good.
(...)
(Col. 4.  "Vertical integration" and "overbuild" are discussed--ed.)
   Now there's a new phrase being thrown around--"Consumer programming."
Sounds lovely, even helpful, but it's just a nice way of saying infomercials.