99 bottles of beer on the wall(1955)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Jun 25 11:57:23 UTC 2004

From:    Anne Gilbert <kebara at COMCAST.NET>
: Barbara wrote:

:: That's the version I grew up with, but I have also heard the third
:: line as

:: If one of those bottle should happen to fall

: Hmmmmmm. . . . I never heard that version when I was growing up.
: There must be regional variations of one kind or another.

FWIW, i grew up with both "take one down and pass it around" *and* "if one
of those bottles should happen to fall". The second one was the one you'd
use around adults who didn't approve of kids singing about drinking.

And then, of course, there's the version sung by Hammy's family in the Tiny
Toons movie "How i spent my vacation": "99 bottles of non-alcoholic beverage
on the wall".

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx