Incest as a verb (was "fuck" in Wash Post)

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 26 12:46:43 UTC 2004

Yesterday on the Dr. Phil show, a female
guest, 50-ish, said, "I was incested by two men in my
family when I was a child."  (The guest (Anne) was
discussing her addiction to sex.) I've never
heard  'incest' used  as a verb.  Is anyone familiar
with this usage?

Margaret Lee

Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
> In other words, 6 messages of 15,583, or .03%, are spam with "fuck" in
> the subject. Maybe my mail patterns are really weird, but from my
> data it would seem that filtering on the presence of "fuck" in the
> subject line is a pretty bad way of stopping spam. (And for what
> it's worth, all six of those messages were caught by other means
> by my spam tools.)

While I agree with the comment about not censoring the list (how can we talk
sensibly about those words if we can't use them?), I'm not sure this last is
necessarily valid. The lack of "fuck" in spam subject lines could be a
result of natural selection. Since the very first spam filter probably
killfiled messages with "fuck" in the subject, very few spammers actually
use the term. If anti-spam filters were to stop filtering on this, the
incidence would undoubtedly rise.

--Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net
http://www.wilton.net

Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Professor of English & Linguistics
  and University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
757-727-5769(voice);757-727-5084(fax);757-851-5773(home)
margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com