Absolute "not so much" = "not really"

Carolina Jimenez-Marcos cjm at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jun 28 11:45:32 UTC 2004

Just a few sightings. Some pre-sitcom. Incidence increases around 1995,
concurrent with increase in "Friends" repetition of the nsm gag.

The Economist
February 26, 1977
HEADLINE: The LSE;
Not so much an uprising

The Economist
March 22, 1980
HEADLINE: China, Japan and America;
Not so much a trio

The Economist
December 4, 1982
HEADLINE: Not so much a riot

Sydney Morning Herald
January 19, 1990 Friday
HEADLINE: NOT SO MUCH FUN
(about getting thrown from a boogie board and winding up with a concussion,
no fun at all)

CBS News Transcripts
CBS THIS MORNING (7:00 AM ET)
November 13, 1990, Tuesday
Paula Zahn: Let's check in with Mark. Hopefully, there's better weather
news outthere this morning.
Mark McEwen: Well, thank you, Paula. Thank you, Harry. Not so much--not
real better news today.

Financial Times (London,England)
November 2, 1991, Saturday
HEADLINE: Not so much Mozart . . .;
(about a film series titled "Not Mozart")

Minnesota Public Radio. All Rights Reserved
SAVVY TRAVELER
July 21, 2001 Saturday
[transcript]
Rudy Maxa: Well, Diana, tell me, what is your favorite food? I'm sort of
guessing French.
Diana Nyad: Yeah, you know, not so much. Heavy sauces and all that. I--I
tell you the truth, the grill. Back yard, shrimp on the barbie. You can't
do better than that for me.

The New York Times
February 26, 2003 Wednesday
HEADLINE: The College Remembers Lehman; Its Students, Not So Much

The Daily Herald-Tribune (Grande Prairie, Alberta)
April 4, 2003 Friday Final Edition
HEADLINE: WAY TO GO!;
EXPOS OFF TO FINE START; BRAVES...NOT SO MUCH