Brunch (1896); Dime (1995)---(Question; possible answer)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Mar 1 01:29:30 UTC 2004

Last week I asked about the connection between an assist in
basketball and a dime. I'll now try to answer my own question. During
the Depression there was a  popular song "Brother, Can You Spare a
Dime?" I.e., Brother, can you help me? Maybe the giving of a dime to
someone down on his luck provided the inspiration for "dime = assist
(in basketball)."

Gerald Cohen