Croissant (1896)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 1 05:00:01 UTC 2004

   Andy Smith asked about the "croissant" on rec.food.historic.  I think OED and Merrriam-Webster have about 1900.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
Article 1 -- No Title
Lippincott's Monthly Magazine (1886-1915). Philadelphia: Apr 1896. p. 598 (11 pages):
Pg. 616:
   HOW TO DIGEST CHOCOLATE.--As a nation the French are in advance of us in their application of the chemistry of food.  Their little school-children may be seen daily enjoying a luncheon of a piece of bread or a little roll or croissant with a bar of plain chocolate, not creams, and nothing is more nourishing for them, while French, Italians, and Spaniards alike dip bread into their morning cup of chocolate.

   2. STUDENTS LIVING EXPENSES IN PARIS.
The Art Amateur; A Monthly Journal Devoted to Art in the Household (1879-1903). New York: Oct 1896. Vol. 35, Iss. 5; p. 97 (2 pages)
First page:
   A bowl of cafe-au-lait or chocolate cost me 3 cents--larger bowls 4 cents; breads or croissants (circulat-shaped rolls), 1 cent apiece.