Movie Hopping; Croissant (1875)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 1 17:46:21 UTC 2004

(MOVIE HOPPING

This "movie hopping" post is brought to you by Barry Popik, who has never
done it because it's illegal.)

   I've heard this "movie hopping" term since the 1970s.  That's when the
"multiplexes" came on in force.

CROISSANT

   Here. have another "croissant."
   I was in a rush because NYU was closing at midnight..."Croissant" results
in many hits, so I usually add the word "bread."
   The "croissant" allegedly comes from the 17th century, but OED and
MERRIAM-WEBSTER both have 1899.

(MAKING OF AMERICA--CORNELL)
The Living age ... / Volume 124, Issue 1601: pp. 385-448
p. 445 1 match of 'croissants' in: Title: The Living age ... / Volume 124,
Issue 16
Publisher: The Living age co. inc. etc. Publication Date: February 13, 1875
City: New York etc.
Pg. 445:   ...quaint mediaeval signs, too, figure on several of the houses,
while hanging outside the bakers' shops are large frames containing models,
coloured after nature, of the different kinds of bread sold within, including not
merely loaves of all sizes, but rolls, _flutes_, _croissants_, _Semmeln_, and
the like.