Wrong and Holla

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Mar 3 04:03:29 UTC 2004

>>He uses wrong as a predicate to mean unfair. "This is wrong," he proclaims,
>>meaning the way a paper was graded was wrong.
>>
>>Also, he used holla to mean to spread one's arms out in a rapper-like
>>movement.
>>
>>I haven't checked around for wrong, but holla doesn't seem to be recorded in
>>dictionaries.
>The former doesn't seem that exotic to me; "right" and "wrong" to
>mean 'fair'/'unfair' (as in the grading of papers) strikes me as
>within familiar usage.  The latter I'm not familiar with (in the
>given sense).

I agree with Larry Horn about "wrong". In the emphatic use which I imagine
here, more conservative speakers might say "This is [just] not right" or
so, but I think "wrong" is reasonable too.

"Holla" is "holler" (sometimes also "hollow") meaning "yell". I don't
recognize the use for a gesture, but (e.g.) at urbandictionary.com there
are numerous entries indicating "holla" is used something like
"talk"/"speak" sometimes.

-- Doug Wilson