Sundae (1900, 1903); "I see," said the blind man

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 3 07:57:57 UTC 2004

SUNDAE

   I re-checked "sundae" using Newspaperarchive.com...The "1889" MOUNTAIN
DEMOCRAT is 100 years off.  You just have to remember these errors...I had posted
the "chop suey sundae" from 1906.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Ottumwa Daily Courier - 8/5/1903
...of soda from the fine stream and some ICE CREAM ..when combined may form%
either one7.....soda clerks; others are due to some popular book or fashion
still -others come from -the.....comes in, he must say, "Will you have a SUNDAE
or a frozen or some suggestion of a.....or the word means. It is variously
spelled SUNDAE, sundea and sundee and is. said by..
Pg. 7, col. 1:
      _How They Originate._
   Sundaes are made and eaten but no one knows who was their inventor or what
the word means.  It is variously spelled sundae, sundea and sundee and is
said by some to mean "mixed" and to have originated in Chicago.  Other experts
deny this.  A breezy, stimulating drink which contains malted milk is
obtainable.  "Navaro" is the name for another package of carbonic acid gas done ip in
flavored water and cream.  St. Julian punch, egg agnostura, grape cobbler,
orange spray, coffee frappe, ambrosia flipp, chocolate bousha (which is another way
of saying frappe), Queen Bees, (a fruit lemonade), LaComa, egg a la mode, New
York beauty, Satan's delight, Delmonico dipp, Scotch rose, fautaema,
Manhattan cream, creora puff, rospho royal, Whiterock lemonade (which is foundedon
lithia water), these are selections from the list of "new" drinks.

Arizona Republican - 5/18/1904
...ICE. Grape Fruit phosphate, Strawberry ICE CREAM, Chop Suey SUNDAE.
Waihlnilon and Flnt.....the finest publication of a magazine or book nature ever
produced in. an Arizona.....every detail. Our specials today: Vanilla ICE CREAM.
Pineapple..
Phoenix, Arizona Wednesday, May 18, 1904  605 k
Pg. 5, col. 1 ad:
   Out specials today: Vanilla ice cream, Pineapple Ice, Grape Fruit
Phosphate, Strawberry Ice Cream, Chop Suey Sundae.

Grand Rapids Tribune - 4/19/1902
...the Methodist church. ICE CREAM soda, ICE CREAM SUNDAES, soda water and
PurdyV. root.....enjoyable and profitable winter. The finest ICE CREAM in the
land at the candy kitchen.....Free Press: JW. Cameron. president of the CREAM.
City Sash and Door company, left for..
Grand Rapids, Wisconsin Saturday, April 19, 1902  819 k

Arizona Republican - 8/11/1900
...to afent of railway at Btsbeej For the bett ICE CREAM go to Rlnetiart't.
208-11 West.....r.hilni rrrnmy sweet and phosphates sour, SUNDAES and but not
be aw'are that drinks..
Phoenix, Arizona Saturday, August 11, 1900  686 k
Pg. 5, col. 4:
   He may notice that there are sodas plain and sodas creamy, phosphates
sweet and phosphates sour, sundaes and lemonades, but not be aware that drinks
which cheer     to a greater extent than these are obtainable there.

Mansfield News - 8/29/1902
...to 'nine-tenths that are dispensed. The ICE CREAM '.we. make out of pure
CREAM. We.....root beer, etc., are the choICEst. Our SUNDAES and Dopes are made
out of the finest.....chocolates, fruits and CREAM. 5 cents buys Ashbrook's
soda..
Mansfield, Ohio Friday, August 29, 1902  765 k

"I SEE," SAID THE BLIND MAN (continued)

   Again, PUCK probably has some variations of this, but we don't have that
yet from APS Online.  Literature Online is down at NYU.

http://info.utas.edu.au/docs/flonta/DP,2,1,96/STUDY_OF_PROVERBS.html
Wellerisms in which an animal speaks are usually allusions to fables,
although I am not sure that there is one underlying "'What a dust I raise,' said the
fly as it sat on the wheel". Wellerisms in which a man or woman speaks may be
actual remarks that caught popular fancy and became traditional: "'That I
would fain see,' said blind Hugh", which was current in the sixteenth century, may
be such a quotation, for there was then a famous wit called Blind Hugh. A
Swedish scholar has conjectured that generic names replaced specific names when
the appropriateness of the specific names was forgotten. Thus we may have,
although he does not cite this example, "'I see' said the blind man" and with a
further development involving a pun, "'I see,' said the blind man and picked up
his hammer and saw".