Upstate/downstate

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 3 20:41:23 UTC 2004

Laurence Horn said:
>At 1:46 PM -0500 3/3/04, Alice Faber wrote:
>>Duane Campbell said:
>>>With New Paltz in the news, New York based broadcasters keep referring to
>>>this "upstate town." Having lived for several years in New York's
>>>Southerntier -- which is north of "upstate" -- I can tell you with
>>>conviction that New Paltz is downstate.
>>
>>And I can tell you with equal conviction that New Paltz is most
>>definitely upstate. Of course, I grew up in Westchester County. But
>>my parents lived in Columbia County for 30 years, which, even if it's
>>south of Albany, is still upstate to me.
>>
>And for some native New Yorkers [= native-NYCers], Yonkers is
>upstate.  I don't think it works like Chicagoans w.r.t. Rockford,
>though--Long Island is never "upstate", it's just the tertium datur:
>the City, Upstate, the Island.  Then there's the finer-grained
>definition, whereby the City = Manhattan, leaving the outer boroughs
>unclassified.

Is there a noun for where the "Bridge and Tunnel people" live? For
me, that phrase refers to the denizens of the outer boroughs, and,
possibly, also Hoboken.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963