Bridge and Tunnel people

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Mar 4 03:29:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:16:56PM -0500, Laurence Horn wrote:

> I would reckon Staten Island as being part of that crowd (at least
> after the Verrazzano was built), but I don't have similar intuitions
> about the other outer boroughs.  I know, you'd usually get to S.I.
> from "the City" (i.e. Manhattan) by ferry, but it does seem sort of
> quasi-Jersey-like, you have to admit.  (Bridge-tunnel-and-ferry
> crowd?)  The Bronx and Brooklyn you'd get to by bridge or tunnel, but
> they're not suburban enough to qualify.  I'm not sure about Queens.

??? You're kidding, right, Larry? Queens and Brooklyn are the
archetypal B&T crowd. Not suburban enough? Let's forget about
those $2M apartments in Williamsburg--by Manhattan standards
(i.e. the Manhattan of the 1980s when these terms were
especially prevalent) Brooklyn and Queens were way suburban.

Satan Island [sic] qualifies as well. It's not how you get
there, it's what it's like.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED