Blind Man (16th century); Beep (1952); Buyer's Remorse; Frienemies

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 4 08:55:45 UTC 2004

BLIND MAN

    Amazing...Every day is like this.  I recently wrote to the New Orleans
Fair Grounds to tell them again about my first grade project, done twelve years
ago.  No response!
    Jesse writes:

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:09:28PM -0500, Fred Shapiro wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>
> > Does Fred Shapiro have an earlier hit for this?
> >
> > (OCLC WORLDCAT) Title: A killer is loose among us / Author(s): Terrall,
> > Robert. Publication: New York : Duell, Sloan and Pearce, Year: 1948
> > "I see," said the blind man --
>
> This is, of course, the most famous Wellerism.
>
> "Marry, that I would see! quoth blind Hew.
>    John Heywood, The Pardoner and the Frere (1533)

Face!

Barry, even you've never found a 400-year antedating....

Jesse Sheidlower
OED

   Fred Shapiro made his post at 6 p.m.  No one saw this in a post that I had
made at 3 a.m.--15 hours before?  No one read "blind man" on my post's
subject line?  No one?  No one:

    Wellerisms in which a man or woman speaks may be
actual remarks that caught popular fancy and became traditional: "'That I
would fain see,' said blind Hugh", which was current in the sixteenth
century, may
be such a quotation, for there was then a famous wit called Blind Hugh. A
Swedish scholar has conjectured that generic names replaced specific names
when

BEEP

   This never ends.  I was asked to beat this:

beep, borough president. 8.23.1980

   As I posted here on 13 December 2000, over three years ago, from the
Brooklyn College library:

21 October 1952, KEN, pg. 5, col. 1--...Borough President John
Cashmore..."Beep" Cashmore.(Compare with VP=Veep--ed.)

BUYER'S REMORSE

http://www.johnellis.blogspot.com/
Tuesday, March 02, 2004
Buyer's Remorse

It's not a clean sweep -- Dean wins Vermont! -- but it's the end of Edwards.
And therefore Senator John Kerry will be the 2004 Democratic presidential
nominee.

Let the buyer's remorse begin!

BUYER'S REMORSE--38,400 Google hits, 5,440 Google Groups hits

   "Buyer's remorse" is not in the OED.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)("buyer's remorse" + "Kerry")
Re: John F-ing Kerry, The MOST Liberal Senator,.,.,.,.,.,., !
... Super Tuesday will tell us if the democrats are feeling a bit of buyer's
remorse,
in a switch over to Edwards. Let's see..... Kerry, then Dean, back to Kerry
alt.politics.usa.republican - Feb 27, 2004 by Tarver Engineering - View
Thread (4 articles)

Re: Kerry & National Guard
... six "members attending" a meeting to plan the protest was "John Kerry-NE
Rep." ===
Kerry should address ... There's already some buyer's remorse among
Democrats. ...
alt.fan.dan-quayle - Feb 24, 2004 by Milt - View Thread (5 articles)

Is Bush too conservative for America?
... gang is trotting out its scaremongering tactics about whether Kerry is
too ... and civil
war, President Bush appears to be experiencing buyer's remorse about the ...
alt.politics.bush - Feb 19, 2004 by Luis ORTEGA - View Thread (6 articles)

Re: More bad news for the dubya
... Exit polls in Wisconsin seem to indicate a growing buyer's remorse
with Kerry amongst Democrats, hence Edwards closeing so fast. ...
talk.politics.misc - Feb 18, 2004 by Spread Eagle - View Thread (37 articles)

Re: Dean made me a Democrat, Kerry made me a Republican
... I have talked to a few of my former friends ("former" because they went
for Kerry
here Michigan to play it safe). They are having buyer's remorse right now.
alt.politics.democrat - Feb 18, 2004 by Kirk Gregory Czuhai - View Thread (9
articles)

NBC: faux populism by the Democratic elite for the simple-minded
... the Kerry campaign. He's the default option of Democratic voters after
the amazing
rise and fall of Howard Dean, with the mother of all buyer's remorse coming
rec.music.artists.springsteen - Feb 6, 2004 by SMBalloon - View Thread (2
articles)

(GOOGLE GROUPS)("buyer's remorse")
Re: I know I did the right thing but...
... Help!!!! "Buyer's remorse" is a very common thing when you spend a lot of
money.
People experience grief whenever a major change happens, even good ones! ...
alt.recovery - Jun 21, 1991 by Robert Hartman - View Thread (9 articles)

Re: Info on Drake rcvrs
... continental USA). They will refund the purchase price if you send it
back to them within 15 days ("buyer's remorse"). The brochure ...
rec.radio.swap - May 1, 1991 by Bob Parnass, AJ9S - View Thread (3 articles)

Summary (Non/)interlaced monitors - 1231 lines long
... disk with shareware GIF viewers and GIF files, just so his customers will
have SOME
WAY to use the HIRES modes, and not develop buyer's remorse about spending
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware - Mar 6, 1991 by ff76 at vaxb.acs.unt.edu - View Thread
(2 articles)

I wrongly flamed 47th ST/Nikon Warranty Info
... obiquitous "Nikon USA" white cards. We completed the sale, and I guess
later on, I got a case of buyer's remorse. I read the fine ...
rec.photo - Jan 2, 1991 by Mark Goldberg - View Thread (1 article)

Re: A happy Harley owner. Was: Another happy R100GS owner
... This delayed buyer's remorse is a nice self defense mechanism for someone
who already buys motorcycles as often as most people buy shoes. ...
rec.motorcycles - May 15, 1990 by Chuck Wessel - View Thread (3 articles)

Speaker quest ends
... My wife said they sounded good, lets buy these (a little buyer's remorse
about
the $6K set in as her emotions sagged). I said no, I hated the humpy bass.
rec.audio - May 14, 1990 by Kurt Strain - View Thread (7 articles)

Re: Boogie Mark I Reissue
... Not that I'm looking to buy another amp after emptying my wallet
on the Boogie, but can you spell "Buyer's Remorse"? -bill leff
rec.music.makers - Mar 9, 1990 by Bill Leff - View Thread (6 articles

)Re: a hamster called Paul
... intimately. I went away kind of depressed, but didn't understand why
I felt that way. It was almost like buyer's remorse. Possibly ...
rec.music.beatles - Feb 24, 1990 by Richard W. Cook - View Thread (5
articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)(Most hits are from 1977--ed.)
Post Crescent - 4/26/1967
...the period of time they guarantinued, 'BUYER'S REMORSE' and seek a means
of getting.....Enrollment He tells the prospective buyer that he wants to
enroll him in a borne.....of Commerce, Area gives this advice to the buyer and the
film salesman: he said, first.....receive the film at the bargain rate, the
buyer is given film stamps. The exposed film..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Wednesday, April 26, 1967  628 k

FRIENEMIES

FRIENEMY--265 Google hits, 19 Google Groups hits (from August 2, 1993)
FRIENEMIES--504 Google hits, 72 Google Groups hits (from November 27, 1998)
FRENEMY--950 Google hits, 26 Google Groups hits (from February 15, 1999)
FRENEMIES--803 Google hits, 87 Google Groups hits (from February 23, 1999)

   From the Word Spy of March 3:

http://www.wordspy.com/words/frienemy.asp
Notes:
This just-so blend of friend and enemy was coined by singer/songwriter Gregg
Alexander of New Radicals and first appeared in his 1998 song, "You Get What
You Give," a catchy tune if there ever was one (see the first use, below). The
rap group Arsonists also used the word (as Frienemies) as the title of a song
on their album As the World Burns, released August 24, 1999, and the word also
made an appearance on the HBO show Sex and the City. Thanks to Rima McKinzey
for bringing this word to my attention.
(...)
First Use:
Wake up kids
We've got the dreamers disease
Age 14 we got you down on your knees
So polite, you're busy still saying please
Frienemies, who when you're down ain't your friend
Every night we smash their Mercedes-Benz.
—Gregg Alexander, "You Get What You Give," New Radicals: Maybe You've Been
Brainwashed Too, October 20, 1998

   Yes, I'd posted this here on ADS-L three years earlier, on 6 April 2001!
I was recently looking for "frienemy," but I wrote it then as "frienemies."
   Both "frienemy" and "frenemy" should be searched and cited.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Nevada State Journal - 5/19/1953
...hope to Howz about calling the Russians our FRIENEMIES? The Communists who
refuse to.....brings a fancy price in the out of print book marts. Yours, Bob
Downing." Blind..
Reno, Nevada Tuesday, May 19, 1953  739 k

Mansfield News Journal - 3/13/1960
...has one man made so basketball tourney FRIENEMIES in so short a time." Ml
lie Sport..
Mansfield, Ohio Sunday, March 13, 1960  765 k