Upstate/downstate

Willie willie at HIS.COM
Thu Mar 4 16:26:27 UTC 2004

And I can tell you with MORE conviction than Alice that New Paltz is
WAAAY upstate. I grew up on Long Island, so everything north of
Westchester is somewhere out there.

Willie Schatz
Professional Writing Program
University of Maryland

------------------------------------

Duane Campbell said:
>With New Paltz in the news, New York based broadcasters keep referring
>this "upstate town." Having lived for several years in New York's
>Southerntier -- which is north of "upstate" -- I can tell you with
>conviction that New Paltz is downstate.

And I can tell you with equal conviction that New Paltz is most
definitely upstate. Of course, I grew up in Westchester County. But
my parents lived in Columbia County for 30 years, which, even if it's
south of Albany, is still upstate to me.

======
Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963