"poutine" (Quebec food), or how George Bush believed he was endorsed by Canadian Prime Minister Jean Poutine

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Mar 5 01:40:11 UTC 2004

    A while back there were a few ads-l messages about the Quebec food
"poutine."
Here now is a relevant Wall Street Journal article (March 2, 2000,
sec.B, p. 1);
  title: "George W. Ambushed By Canadian Comic In New Name Gaffe", by
Julian Beltrame:
       "The name of a world leader has gotten George W. Bush into trouble again.
        "After a rally in Canton, Mich., last week, a man posing as a
Canadian television reporter told Mr. Bush that Canadian Prime
Minister Jean Poutine had endorsed him as 'the man to lead the free
world into the 21st century.'
        "Mr. Bush beamed. 'I'm honored,' he said. "I appreciate his
strong statement.  He understands our belief in free trade,' the
aspiring president added. 'He understands I want to ensure our
relationship with our most important neighbor to the north us us,
Canadians, is strong.  We will work closely together.'
        "Unfortunately for Mr. Bush, Canada's prime minister is Jean
Chretien, not Poutine.  Poutine is a French-Canadian concoction of
french fries and cheese curds smothered in gravy that is much beloved
in Quebec.
        "The man posing as a journalist was Canadian comedian Rick
Mercer, whose segment on a satirical weekly TV show often lampoons
American ignorance of Canadian matters.  He once had the governor of
Arkansas congratulate Canada on building a 'national igloo' to
protect its Parliament building.  The show broadcast Mr. Bush's reply
earlier this week.  'We got him hook, line and sinker,' said producer
Geoff D'Eon. ..."

Gerald Cohen