one of the oldest written words in the english language still in usage -- NOT!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 5 03:11:45 UTC 2004

At 5:54 PM -0500 3/4/04, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>Joshua Nimocks clarifies:
>
>#I'm sorry.  I should have specified: alder, 'the head of a family or
>#clan.'
>
>I'm sorry, I don't think that's still in usage.

FWIW, in some communities (e.g. New Haven), "alder" is used
(sex-neutrally) for what "alderman" used to be used for.  It doesn't
quite mean "parent, elder" or "patriarch, ruler", but it's clearly
descended from and related to those uses.  (Aldermanic districts are
still so-called; I don't think I've heard "alderic".  I've always
liked the "-manic" part.)

larry horn