Scots and/or Irish American dialect

Patti Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Mar 5 03:37:22 UTC 2004

A quick question (actually 2):

I'm proofing some dialogue for a writer who's trying to capture
characters who are Scottish-American and Irish American in the 19th
century.  Most of it seems okay, but I had questions about two things:

Would an Irishman really say "Sure and begorrah" or is that mainly a
stereotypical realization of  Irish American speech?

Would a Scotsman say 'Ach!" (meaning "Ah!")  That sounds more German to
me than Scots.  If not, what would he say instead?

Thanks!

Patti Kurtz
Minot State University.
--

- Things are only impossible until they are not!

Picard to Data, "When the Bough Breaks."