Micro-Aggression

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 5 07:06:00 UTC 2004

MICRO-AGGRESSION--61 Google hits, 16 Google Groups hits

http://andrewsullivan.com/
Friday, March 05, 2004
"MICRO-AGGRESSION": It's a new term to me, but my conversations with college
students this past couple of days have convinced me it's real. What's a
micro-aggression? It's when you offend somebody for the usual p.c. reasons. You need
not mean to offend someone; you may even be trying to flatter them; but if
they feel they're offended or hurt in any way, it's a "micro-aggression." An
accumulation of "micro-aggressions" can lead to actual aggression. I accidentally
committed a "micro-aggression" two days ago when I used the term
"Islamo-fascist" to refer to terrorists or unelected despots who use Islam as a cloak for
their violence or tyranny. One poor young student was reduced to tears because
I used this term. She said she felt attacked because she is a Muslim. I
pointed out that the entire point of the term is to distinguish these theocratic
thugs from genuine, mainstream Muslims. And she acknowledged that. Nevertheless,
I had committed a micro-aggression. If I were on a campus today, I might be
subject to discipline. What you have here, perhaps, is a post-modern,
post-Christian attempt to resurrect different levels of sin. I committed what Catholics
call a "venial sin," a small-bore, not-too-important, micro-sin. But unlike
Catholic teaching, which insists that for something to be a sin, it must be
consciously intended, with "micro-aggressions," your motives are irrelevant. In
pomo heaven, the individual, after all, has no real autonomy, no independent
soul, no personal conscience. He's just reflecting the interplay of
power-structures. So in the pursuit of progress, we have resurrected the imperatives of
Catholic moral teaching and removed moral responsibility at the same time. They
call this a step forward. It's the opposite. One recalls Foucault's classic
book, "Discipline and Punish." It's all that's left of his philosophy on
American campuses.
- 12:07:10 AM

(GOOGLE)
[PDF] TWS Study Guide.Spinning
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google recommends visiting
our text version of this document.
... In psychiatry, we refer to them as ‘micro-aggression,’” he said. “The
things you experience everyday that then add up and take their toll. ...
www.theatreworks.org/ images/TWS%20Study%20Guide.Spinning.pdf - Similar pages

The Reason Files
... Stop micro-aggression! -- Micro-aggression is explained on a webpage
of the Colby Echo, with one Megan Wilson telling it like it is -- ...
www.wsse.ca/nucleus2.0/reason.php?catid=5&blogid=2 - 42k - Cached - Similar
pages

Psychiatric Services -- Allen 50 (3): 424
... At least among African Americans, some of Pierce's terms and concepts—
micro-aggression,
micro-traumata, and racism as an environmental pollutant—are abiding ...
ps.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/50/3/424 - Similar pages

study guides
... 14. Why would difference between Blacks and Whites appear greater away
from the job? 15. What is a micro insult or micro aggression? 16. ...
www.instruction.greenriver.edu/kwarner/ AMES100/study%20guides.htm - 36k -
Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: LINK:
... We have to think before pillorying and lynching alleged racists. However,
I have
read Andrew Chin's description of "micro-aggression." Have you? It is great.
soc.culture.asian.american - Mar 16, 1998 by etaka at fkym.daiichi-net.or.jp -

Re: LINK: "AA fight slurs...."
... to be afraid of. The concept of micro-aggression may lead some to see
racist discrimation everywhere. Eric Takabayashi Fukuyama, Japan ...
soc.culture.asian.american - Mar 15, 1998 by etaka at fkym.daiichi-net.or.jp -

Re: Racial differences are minor
... It's telling that you're experience is belittled with theories about
micro aggression
and mixed up with incidents that may have much less to do with race than ...
soc.culture.asian.american - Mar 6, 1998 by Check - View Thread (95 articles)

DAY JOB(long)
... There is now, in fact, a considerable literature devoted to chronicling
these acts
of worker micro-aggression.[30] Office supplies are pilfered, hard-drives ...

rec.music.makers.guitar - Jul 14, 1995 by Richard Kucera - View Thread (2
articles)

Offensive Mechanisms
... my fondest hope that the day is not far remote when every black child
will recognize
and defend promptly and adequately against every offensive micro-aggression
soc.culture.african.american - Apr 22, 1993 by Carter E. Bing - View Thread
(1 article)

Offensive Mechanisms (corrected P-1)
... Hence, the therapist is obliged to pose the idea that offensive
mechanisms are
usually a micro-aggression, as opposed to a gross, dramatic, obvious macro
soc.culture.african.american - Apr 22, 1993 by Carter E. Bing - View Thread
(1 article)

Offensive Mechanisms (part one)
... Hence, the therapist is obliged to pose the idea that offensive
mechanisms are
usuall a micro-aggression, as opposed to a gross, dramatic, obvious macro ...

soc.culture.african.american - Apr 21, 1993 by Carter E. Bing - View Thread
(1 article)