Up and down, railways and Oxbridge (was: Upstate/downstate)

Lynne Murphy M.L.Murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Fri Mar 5 16:29:23 UTC 2004

--On Friday, March 5, 2004 10:22 am -0500 Damien Hall
<halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:

> UNIVERSITIES
>
> Rev Spooner was Dean of New College, Oxford;  I think it would probably be
> thought of as snobbery in many, if not all, Universities other than
> Oxbridge to use 'send down' and 'go up', and that they would just say
> 'expel' and 'go to University'.  Could someone at another British
> University comment?  Also, interestingly, New College itself asserts that
> Spooner 'almost certainly never uttered a Spoonerism, but equally
> certainly had a number of curious verbal traits':
> http://corelli.new.ox.ac.uk/college/briefhistory.html

I can confirm that send down and go/come up are limited to Oxbridge.  (Just
asked a couple of colleagues to confirm).

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics

Department of Linguistics and English Language
Arts B133
University of Sussex
Falmer
Brighton BN1 9QN