"Drunken Sailors" and the economy (1898)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 6 03:19:52 UTC 2004

_Borrowing Like Drunken Sailors_
--editorial, NEW YORK POST, 5 March 2004, pg. 30, col. 1.

DRUNKEN SAILORS--8,850 Google hits, 4,560 Google Groups hits
DRUNKEN SAILOR--40,800 Google hits, 9,460 Google Groups hits
DRUNKEN SAILOR + PRESIDENT + BUSH--4,710 Google hits, 471 Google Groups hits
DRUNKEN SAILORS + PRESIDENT + BUSH--2,120 Google hits, 369 Google Groups hits

   Why am I seeing all these economic comparisons to drunken sailors lately?
   People don't spend like "Paris Hilton," buying $5,000 handbags.  No, they
spend like "drunken sailors."  Do drunken sailors really spend that much?
What do they buy--another cheap beer?  $20 or so?  Maybe some grub?  How much
does grub go for?
   For weeks now, blogger Andrew Sullivan has accused President Bush of
spending like a drunken sailor.  There are many Google "sailor spending" hits.
   I don't know if NYU's Literature Online is working again.  I'd check Early
English Books Online and Eighteenth Century Collections Online.  Drunken
sailors go way back.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2003/02/04/budget/index_np.html
Drunken sailor economics
Bush's bloated budget will likely put the U.S. over $1 trillion in debt. But
criticize it, and the White House calls you soft on terror.- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
By Jake Tapper Feb. 4, 2003

CNN.com - McCain: Congress spending money 'like a drunken sailor' ...
John McCain Sunday berated fellow lawmakers for spending money like a drunken
sailor
and said President Bush was also to blame for pushing the nation toward ...
www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/ 11/30/mccain.bashes.bush.ap/ - 41k - Mar 4,
2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Congress Spending Money Like 'Drunken Sailor'
... WASHINGTON — Congress is throwing away astonishing amounts, "spending
money like
a drunken sailor," and President Bush shares the blame because he is not ...
www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/ 2003/11/30/184005.shtml - 29k - Cached -
Similar pages My Way News
... WASHINGTON (AP) - Congress is throwing away astonishing amounts,
"spending money
like a drunken sailor," and President Bush shares the blame because he is not
apnews.myway.com/article/20031130/D7V56CGG0.html - 14k - Cached - Similar
pages

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
(Search for "like a drunken sailor" and "like drunken sailors")
Clearfield Progress - 6/22/1944
...thAt our RepresentAtives spend money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor, however. for
out of even A.....thus distributed. InevitAbly it will drop LIKE A plummet when
wAr production is cut oft.....DRUNKEN sAilor would hAng on to one of those
zeroes..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania Thursday, June 22, 1944  775 k

Clearfield Progress - 5/20/1939
...thAt our RepresentAtives spend money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor, for out of
even A DRUNKEN.....yeArs in the NAvy Are relAted in A book both frAnk And rich in
Anecdote, "SeA.....FROM PAGE 1) ing until June 1. ThAt seems LIKE u long time
to All of them. AlreAdy they.....RussiA bAck in the eAstern provinces. LIKE
GermAny, she hAs plAnned her dominAtion..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania Saturday, May 20, 1939  690 k

Helena Independent - 11/5/1940
...An AdministrAtion thAt spends money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor. District .A
ttorney ThomAs E..
Helena, Montana Tuesday, November 05, 1940  695 k

Bismarck Tribune - 11/5/1940
...An AdministrAtion thAt spends money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor." Mrs. ForAn chA
rged cruelty.....PR WIN NEW JAmes A. PArley sAid "it looks LIKE A DemocrAtic
vie President Roosevelt's.....Are cAlcite iften foundin cAves. PinnAcle-LIKE mA
sses projecting upwArd from the floor.....All he sAid, .the White House A mAn,
who, LIKE Winston Churchill, cAn put into words..
Bismarck, North Dakota   Tuesday, November 05, 1940  842 k

Gettysburg Times - 11/5/1940
...thAt Tspends moriey LIKE" A DRUNKEN sAilor." Willkie Votes i ijWendell
L.....bAck is HArold HAmberg, who hAs everything LIKE All good hAmburgers. NeAr A
nd fAr Only.....the TulsA university footbAllers, who look LIKE the goods. Tod
Ay's ffuesl stAr JAck.....We hAve in the White House A mAn., who, LIKE Winston
Churchill, cAn put into words..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Tuesday, November 05, 1940  884 k

Edwardsville Intelligencer - 9/1/1937
...I disLIKE. "Thus I will spend money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor on my home, for
I love it.....of my methods ol economy. When I trAvel I LIKE to trAvel on the
best ships, stop At de.....for. I'll be extrAvAgAnt About the things I LIKE, A
lmost miserly About those.....oltllmes on things I'll never reAlly use. I LIKE
the things I cAn buy in A stAtionery..
Edwardsville, Illinois Wednesday, September 01, 1937  856 k

Marion Daily Star - 7/21/1886
...of A womAn. She rAved And swore LIKE, A DRUNKEN sAilor. And WhAt did I
think? My.....01 A vAnished heArt's desire. ThAi once LIKE A beAutiful pAlAce
itood to defy the.....eyes of impenetrAble blue, cheeks Ad lips LIKE roses, And A
weAlth of golden rAglets.....more success thAn when his portly, fArmer-LIKE
form wAs seen shAdowing the rooms of the..
Marion, Ohio Wednesday, July 21, 1886  1252 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 5/21/1914
...of the Government, is spending money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor until its wA
steful.....of An income eAch yeAr. Towns sprung t'ip LIKE mushrooms on the prA
iries And people..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, May 21, 1914  940 k

Washington Post - 11/27/1910
...sAid Mr. Selden wAs spending money LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor. But Mr. Selden's
fAith in his.....when his toes Are .trAmpled ho bristles LIKE An old wArrior,
And with him It's wAr to..
Washington, District Of Columbia   Sunday, November 27, 1910  1084 k

Evening News - 11/26/1912
...which mAkes the stAte j spend money LIKE A. DRUNKEN sAilor I does his
shore And if his j.....wil insist thAt Of being exchAnglory text-book used in the
public i Ally if you woiil.....of clothing on the innrket. do whore you LIKE;
you'll never soo bettor clothes thAn.....Co. ARTHTU l.EKSKR i. H. Korr, Rep.
text book Adoption thAt is required by lAw is..
Ada, Oklahoma Tuesday, November 26, 1912  465 k

New Oxford Item - 7/1/1898
...trAining. Such fAmiliAr phrAses As "LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor" And "Spending
monej LIKE A.....young AmericAns, who hAve displAced A LIKE number of
irresponsible foreigners.....is more of A mechAnic And A soldier thAn A sAilor pure And
simple. But this is not All.....just At food As the Ivory they ARE NOT, but
LIKE All counterfeits, lAck the peculiAr And..
New Oxford, Pennsylvania Friday, July 01, 1898  580 k

Stevens Point Daily Journal - 7/25/1899
...once And generAlly spending money j LIKE A DRUNKEN sAilor. ficflin JournAl
HArry DAvis.....the lAst (lAv And no one should miss n. c A DRUNKEN SAilor.
The council of Stevens Point..
Stevens Point, Wisconsin Tuesday, July 25, 1899  711 k

(WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE)
"Who builds his hope in air of your fair looks,
Lives like a drunken sailor on a mast."
_Richard III_.