Undergraduate front-clipping (was 'mo=homo)

Sat Mar 6 18:15:30 UTC 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote, about an
assortment of amazing undergraduate front-clippings:

> ...These seem so unnatural to me
> that I suppose that their invention was a sort of conscious word-game
> like
> Pig Latin or backslang ... but how widespread was the game? And how
> long-lasting?...

the playful character of these clippings seems pretty clear.  in fact,
their *ostentatiously* playful character; they're meant to stand out,
to be noticed.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu), a long-time fan of language play