"Candy from a baby"(1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 8 01:13:46 UTC 2004

   I'm back with the NYU databases.  It appears that this phrase comes from New York City.
   Don't take "candy" from "Baby Ruth."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
1. THE VARIAG'S FAST SPEED.; New Russian Cruiser Succeeds in Making 23 1/4 Knots.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 6, 1900. p. 2 (1 page):
    Ex-Sheriff William J. Buttling of Brooklyn has something like $4,000 outstanding in bets that the Republicans will be victorious this Fall in the State and Nation.  Mr. Buttling is looked upon as one of the shrewdest bettors in Kings County.  He has wagered, for one thing, that McKinley will carry that county.
    "These bets have been forced upon me," said the big ex-Sheriff, a day or two ago.  "It makes me sad to have to bet this Fall.  It's like taking candy from a baby. ..."

   2. THE DISINFECTION OF CROKER.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 19, 1900. p. 6 (1 page):
   But it would have been quite another thing to send actual money down to Wall Street to become the prey of the first bettor who had chosen to acquire it, and who would have felt in taking it, according to the picturesque expression of the Sheriff of Kings, that he was "taking candy from a baby."

   There's nothing in the BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, but there is this nice article on "Brooklyn's Sweet Tooth" that's worth reading.

   12 July 1891, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg 19:
   She picks up a candy baby, looking white and pretty, and by a hasty immersion transforms it into a chocolate infant and lays it on its back to dry.