Thumbprint Cookies (1950); Sangria (1951); Wine Cooler & Adult Soda Pop

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 8 04:41:21 UTC 2004

THUMBPRINT COOKIES

   I was in my local Food Emporium (under the 59th Street Bridge) and it was crazy on Sunday.  "Thumbprint cookies" were sold there.  I'd posted "thumbprints" from 1963, but this is earlier.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Dixon Evening Telegraph - 11/30/1950
...in half moon shape. Frosts 60 COOKIES. THUMBPRINT COOKIES fi cup shortening I cup.....rack. Place a bit of melted red jelly in THUMBPRINT. Makes about 2 doz. Dutch COOKIES.....spatula: cool on cake rack. Makes about 60 COOKIES. Chocolate Topping. Melt 1 pkg. semi..
Dixon, Illinois   Thursday, November 30, 1950  497 k

Dixon Evening Telegraph - 11/30/1950
...in half moon shape. Frosts 60 COOKIES. THUMBPRINT COOKIES Vi cup shortening 1 cup.....spatula; cool on cake rackMakes about 60 COOKIES. Chocolate Topping. Melt 1 pkg. semi.....jelly in THUMBPRINTMakes about 2 doz. Dutch COOKIES 6 tablesp. shortening '.4 cup..
Dixon, Illinois   Thursday, November 30, 1950  419 k

Appleton Post Crescent - 12/21/1959
...for a plum. That's why they are called "THUMBPRINT" COOKIES. Preheat oven to 300.....and 'stars. These she draws first Christmas COOKIES Christmas Wreath COOKIES are made by.....Punch. FOOD STORES TL L M. f i Thumbprmt COOKIES Holiday Suggestion When you take out.....Schmldt Photo Eight Tiers of Decorated star COOKIES make a most attractive holiday..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Monday, December 21, 1959  723 k

Sheboygan Press - 12/15/1955
...and cut into bars. Sirs. Henry J. Meyer. THUMBPRINT COOKIES Mrs. Henry J. Meyer, who.....15 minutes. Mrs. 3 Fred Kummer. Gum Drop COOKIES (Yield: 40 COOKIES) cup shortening.....accompanied with the serving of Christinas COOKIES. There are innumerable varieties of.....there, submitted favorite recipes for COOKIES from among their large collections..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Thursday, December 15, 1955  679 k

Walla Walla Union Bulletin - 12/6/1956
...to cool. Chocolate will melt from heat of COOKIES and keep filberts in place. Makes 24.....cloth until ready to use. Chocolate Filbert THUMBPRINTS Use cup butter or margarine, cup.....To Christmas Feasting Gaily Decorated COOKIES, Pastries Are Fine Gifts HOLIDAY Part.....with the preparation of colorful, delicious COOKIES, many of them cut in the shapes of..
Walla Walla, Washington   Thursday, December 06, 1956  726 k

SANGRIA

   Yes, the post was getting a little long, so I thought I'd send the ProQuest stuff and do the Newspaperarchive stuff separately, after a break.  Sam beat me to it.  You can't rest for a second with these guys.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Valley News - 10/4/1960
...pictured Argentinian dish, -accompanied by SANGRIA. a wine punch. The sun motif in the..
Van Nuys, California   Tuesday, October 04, 1960  894 k

Berkshire Eagle - 8/1/1959
...aturing all you can eat for only Appetizers SANGRIA (Spanish wine Shrimp Cocktail, Fruit.....a Club selection. He is working on a new book, which started out as a, short novel.....nor seem a large percentage, bur, writing a book is a long-term project and more..
Pittsfield, Massachusetts   Saturday, August 01, 1959  1032 k
Pg. 7A, col. 6 ad:
      Appetizers
Sangria (Spanish wine punch),...

Nevada State Journal - 9/16/1951
...as on pool tables, rushed the food and the SANGRIA, which is a mixture of red wine and.....Quentin Keybut j nolds on page 207 of his book Octopus is considered a delicacy in many..
Reno, Nevada   Sunday, September 16, 1951  751 k
Pg. 4, col. 6:
(Arenas de San Pedro, Spain--ed.)
   Senoritas in embroidered fall skirts, as on pool tables, rushed the food and the sangria, which is a mixture of red wine and fruit juices.

Reno Evening Gazette - 5/28/1954
...avoided me for days after. We ordered a SANGRIA a wine and fruit juice mixture. The.....with publicity flare that consumption of book-type matches has reached something..
Reno, Nevada   Friday, May 28, 1954  709 k
Pg. 4, col. 6:
(From Lisbon--ed.)
   We ordered a sangria--a wine and fruit juice mixture.

Traverse City Record Eagle - 9/17/1951
...as on pool tables, rushed the food and the SANGRIA, which is a mixture of red wine and..
Traverse City, Michigan   Monday, September 17, 1951  617 k

Mansfield News Journal - 9/20/1951
...felt skirts, as on pool tables, rushed he SANGRIA, of red seems worth the effort. It is.....ance. For many years the fly leaf of every book in the English collection of the Bombay.....contained a notice which read, treat this book as if it was your own. Trustees of the..
Mansfield, Ohio   Thursday, September 20, 1951  788 k

WINE COOLER & ADULT SODA POP

   Some citations.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Council Bluffs Nonpareil - 6/21/1945
...in ZESM ITS REFRESHING DEJECTED? Try a WINE "COOLER" Tired AND hot after a hard day.....Add charged water, sugar AND garnish with FRUIT slices. Atk for At fi> Llqnr COUNCIL.....office? We the perfect refresher. Enjoy a WINE "COOLER" before, -with, or after meals.....Pacific islANDs have to contend. DRINK WINE ITS HEALTHFUL..
Council Bluffs, Iowa   Thursday, June 21, 1945  541 k

Vallejo Times Herald - 7/31/1974
...spears AND maraschino cherries. FRUITED WINE COOLER (Serves 4) cup sliced hulled.....AND banana slicesMakes 8 to 1C small tarts. FRUIT-WINE REFRESHER (Makes about 10 servings.....saving accompaniment to the FRUITy Rose' COOLER is tiny FRUIT Tartlettes. A package of.....Have all ingredients well chilled. Combine WINE with FRUIT juices. Pour over ice cubes..
Vallejo, California   Wednesday, July 31, 1974  1207 k

Humboldt Standard - 7/10/1952
...peel over drink for oil. Cool off with WINE COOLER Pour 2 oz. fine WINE into highball.....because Certo is a liquid natural FRUIT pectin product More real, fresh-FRUIT.....of 1519 'South 12th St., Tacoma, Wash.; AND son-in-law of Mr. AND Mrs. D. R. Lewis of.....at the Naval Air Facility with his wife AND their two daughters, Carol AND Christine..
Eureka, California   Thursday, July 10, 1952  606 k

Council Bluffs Nonpareil - 7/6/1950
...BUY'SUNNYBANK at SAFEWAY DRINK TRY THIS WINE COOLER' Just stir together 2 cups of.....are homegrown, too. Majority of, the fresh FRUIT. is: coming from California. cantaloupe.....Betty Ann Port WINE, 2 cups orange juice, cup lemon juice.....is probably the uest bargain on. the FRUIT counter. It, is topnotch quality..
Council Bluffs, Iowa   Thursday, July 06, 1950  583 k

Newport Daily News - 6/25/1951
...Tom Colllni, Gnrdenfreih Mint Julep or WINE COOLER. THE EMBASSY "Where Good People.....Union Pacific United Aircraft United FRUIT U. S. Rubber U. S. Steel Western Union.....AND less humid this afternoon. Fair AND COOLER tonight AND Tuesday. Gusty northwest.....for Boston AND vicinity Windy fair turning COOLER AND becoming less humid this afternoon..
Newport, Rhode Island   Monday, June 25, 1951  712 k

(FACTIVA)
Soda Pop for Adults Only
LARRY WALKER
701 words
The San Francisco Chronicle
FINAL
16

According to marketing analysis reports, if you are an aging member of the Pepsi Generation (late 20s, most likely a woman, turning a bit yuppie around the edges), you probably are about to try one of the hottest new consumer products in years - the wine cooler.

If, on the other hand, you are in your early 20s, a member of a racial or ethnic minority and a male, marketing nabobs say you're already a confirmed cooler drinker. Or you may be in your late 40s or early 50s, male or female, a jogger or tennis player, trying to cut down a bit on the hard stuff and looking for something with a refreshing taste. If so, you're probably reaching for a wine cooler right now.

No wonder the numbers look so good on this astonishingly popular product. Wine cooler sales went from zero in 1980 to over 12 million cases in 1984. Coolers accounted for over 20 percent of all California wine shipments last July; this year the percentage is predicted to be even higher.

Giants E.& J. Gallo and Joseph Seagram & Sons have come out with coolers, and advertising spent on the three major brands - California Cooler, Bartles & Jaymes (Gallo) and Seagram Cooler - easily will top $25 million this year.

Cooler scoffers say the drink, a simple blend of wine, fruit juice, fruit flavorings and carbonated water, is a flash-in-the-pan, like the pop wines of the late '60s and early '70s (honk if you remember Annie Greensprings). I don't think this is true, for at least a couple of reasons. The coolers taste better than the pop wines (which still are selling very well, thank you, in places like Joplin, Missouri, and Duluth, Minnesota). They're much more refreshing and, generally speaking, not as sweet. Also, the lower alcohol content (ranging from about 4 to 7 percent) appeals to the health-conscious crowd.
(...)