'mo = homo

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Mar 9 13:41:46 UTC 2004

From:    Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>

: I recall 'rents (and 'za) from my American undergraduate days a few
: years earlier (1981-85). There was no association with gay subculture. I
: recall 'mo as a insult from my high school days. It was not as common
: as 'rents was a few years later.

I don't recall 'mo as an undergrad (late 80s/early 90s, MD and western PA),
but I heard but didn't use 'rents.

When I was at Brigham Young U (1999-2003), Mo was occasionally used by the
students (in a sort of in-group, joking way) as short for "Mormon" (the
student body there is about 98.6% Mormon, according to the shool's website).
I always thought this was a fascinating clipping, since (like 'za) it's
based entirely on orthography, not pronunciation.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx