Does "hurler" predate 1906?

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Mar 10 02:37:18 UTC 2004

My thanx to Wayne McElreavy and Skip McAfee for their replies to my
forwarded query from Sam Clements concerning the earliest dating of
"hurler" (pitcher). I now share the two replies below. Dickson's
baseball dictionary gives 1908, but Sam Clements found an example
from 1906. Sam, if you could share your 1906 antedating with us, I'm
sure this would be much appreciated.

    Meanwhile, the two responses I received are reproduced below my signoff.

Gerald Cohen
P.S. for ads-l: Skip McAfee is Paul Dickson's assistant in preparing
new editions of his very useful baseball dictionary.