Must be jelly (1942); White on rice (1976)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 10 08:04:56 UTC 2004

   From the extra databases.

MUST BE JELLY

(OCLC WORDLCAT)
It must be jelly : 'cause jam don't shake like that /
Author: MacGregor, J. C. 1903-; Williams, George, Publication: New York, N.Y. : Mutual Music Society, 1942 In: WFAA collection.
Document: English : Musical Score : Printed music : Popular music

WHITE ON RICE

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Taking a Lesson From The Good Old Boys; The election of Jimmy Carter brings to center stage that uniquely Southern creature, the Good Old Boy, or Goodoboy. The Goodoboy is as close to the President-elect as his own brother Billy, whose down-home air, unashamed affection for beer and intimate knowledge of gas-pumping and peanutfarming in Plains, Ga., all mark him as an archetype. The writer, Clarke J. "Bubba" Stallworth, is the city editor of the Birmingham (Ala.) News. The Good Old Boys
By C.J. Stallworth. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Nov 7, 1976. p. 93 (2 pages)
First page:
   A Goodoboy doesn't get mad often, but when he does, he will knock you winding.  If he says: "I'll be on you like a duck on a Junebug," or "like white in rice," or "like ugly on a ape" look out.
   The most important part of the convention will be seminars in language.
(See BOY, K2, Col.3)
We will teach visitors words like FIESYOU (as in, "I wouldn't do that, fiesyou"), JEETCHET (or, "Have you eat?") and RATCHEER (this is not what rats do at a football game; use it in this context: "Come over and sit ratcheer by me").

2. How Dare She Dazzle, But She Does; Rina Myers -- Haw Dare She Dazzle, but She Does
By Vertamae GrosvenorSpecial to The Washington Post. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jul 1, 1979. p. D1 (2 pages)

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
Cliff, Michelle.:  A Visit from Mr. Botha [from The Land of Look Behind: prose and poetry (1985), Firebrand Books]

1          Perhaps, he thinks, they could use some advice
2          Before the Black folks are all over them
3          like white on rice.