obscene words from "Deadwood"

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Wed Mar 10 20:24:05 UTC 2004

Lynne Murphy wrote:

> There's a means of self-deprecatory (or other-deprecatory) humour that
> plays on this.  People around here often refer to themselves or another
> person as "Outraged of Chichester" or "Miffed of Glynde"--referring to
> the way that people sign anonymous letters to newspaper columns, etc.
> (The adjectives and towns change--it's the construction itself that is
> the constant.)  It's a way of poking fun at one's own (or another's)
> tendency to get on one's high horse about some arguably trivial thing.

The classic example of this type is "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells",
but now that there are no longer any retired ex-Indian-Army colonels
spending their sunset years in that town, we have had to find a more
geographically diverse set of exemplars.
--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words