Antedating of "Democrat Party"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 11 03:41:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Fred Shapiro wrote:

> When I search JSTOR, I don't find any article by Hench on this subject.

Safire is apparently referring to an article by Ignace Feuerlicht in the
Oct. 1957 issue of AS.  Feuerlicht wrote that "It seems that Carroll
Reece, former G.O.P. chairman, forged the new adjective as a political
weapon in the election year 1946."  The earliest citation Feuerlicht gives
for Reece's usage is _N.Y. Times_, 27 Sept. 1946.

Fred Shapiro