politically sensitive labels

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 11 05:52:12 UTC 2004

One point worth bearing in mind is that a lot of the language that we
now associate with conservatism had its origin in left or liberal
discourse -- cf "bias," "color-blind," "political correctness,"
"empowerment," and more recently "hate speech" (often used by RNC
chairman Ed Gillespie to describe Democratic attacks on the
President).

In fact it's my sense that "values" itself first became widely
current during the 1950's as one of those social-science borrowings
like "alienation," "status symbol" and "peer group" that were popular
in liberal-progressive circles,  before it was picked up by the right
in the late 1960s in phrases like "mainstream values" and "family
values." (The first cite for "mainstream values" in the NYT is in a
1968 article that bears the wonderfully of-its-moment headline
"Political Activism New Hippie 'Thing.'")

BTW, the OED gives 1918 for the use of the plural 'values' to mean
"the principles or standards of a person or society, the personal or
societal judgement of what is valuable and important in life." But
there are cites for this sense in the JSTOR sociology journals from
the mid-1890's, and I'm betting that Fred Shapiro could take it back
earlier than that.

Geoff Nunberg