If life hands you lemons, make lemonade (1908)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 11 06:00:31 UTC 2004

"YOU LEMONS" + "MAKE LEMONADE"--9,130 Google hits, 7,310 Google Groups hits

   What does Fred Shapiro have for this popular proverb?  This was added to
the recent OXFORD DICTIONARY OF PROVERBS, but I can't read inside the book
through Amazon.
   A brief internet search fails to find a single name or date attached to
this.
  (OT:  What if life gives you ten hours a day of parking tickets?  What do
you do then?)

(GOOGLE)
http://www.geocities.com/varsitycancerousteens/cancermation/attic/quotes.html
"If life gives you lemons then make lemonade."
Anon.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Reference/EnglishDictionaries/?c
i=0198605242&view=usa
This brand new edition of the Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs expands its
coverage to 1100 proverbs, with more detailed annotation and up-to-the-minute
citations from around the English-speaking world. The text is completely accessible
and comprehensive, with added paragraphs that provide illuminating examples
of each proverb and its history.

New proverbs have been added, ranging from modern maxims such as "If life
hands you lemons, make lemonade" to those with their roots in the past, such as
"Justice delayed is justice denied." A thematic index allows readers to easily
find proverbs on subjects ranging from boasting to weddings. Presented in a
thoroughly reader-friendly style yet maintaining the scholarly standards that
have characterized earlier editions, this fourth edition is a valuable updating
of a well-loved classic reference.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)