Grab a root and growl (1939); Something in the milk ain't clean (1997)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 11 07:31:13 UTC 2004

GRAB A ROOT AND GROWL

ROOT AND GROWL--42 Google hits, 1 Google Groups hit

   Probably most popular in the late 1930s.  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG
has just "grab a root" from "mid-19C+."
   I've sat down to eat many times, but I've never heard it.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/amerispeak.htm (go to "FOOD"--ed.)
THEY SAID: Grab a root and growl.
WE SAY: Sit down and have something to eat

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Funny quotes during gameplay
... This makes me snicker anytime I have dinner at my parent's place; at the
start
of any meal, my dad usually says, "Grab a root and growl" Of course this is
rec.games.frp.misc - May 23, 1997 by browne at mala.bc.ca - View Thread (301
articles)

(AMERICAN MEMORY)
http://memory.loc.gov
DATE January 10, 1939 SUBJECT American Folklore Stuff
(...)
Many labor terms have found their way into American speech in Nebraska and
elsewhere.A ground worker on a telephone gang is called a "Grunt." Guy anchors
were called "Dead men."
Stretching the wire---"pulling blocks."
Railroad terms:
Section men are "gandy dancers" or "Jerries,"
Brakeman -------- "shack"
Fireman -------- "Tallow Pot"
Engineer -------- "hog head" or "Eagle eye."
Conductor -------- "captain"
Car repairer -------- "car tink"
quick stop signal -------- "wash out"
out of town -------- "high ball"
Take a hold & lift -------- "grab root and growl"
Shoveler -------- "shovel stiff"
Telegrapher -------- "lightning slinger"
Demerits -------- "brownies"
Intinerant laborer is a "gay cat" or "bindle stiff." There are literally
hundreds of these terms.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Nevada State Journal - 3/30/1939
...some live wires that will grab a ROOT AND GROWL AND put Reno on a solid
foundation.....of widows AND orphans of local war veterans AND of needy veterans
themselves, AND the.....them big business magazines the other day. AND I
looked through it AND I was glad to see.....undoubtedly be glad to care for the
mules. AND, forthwith loaded them in a stock car AND..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, March 30, 1939  693 k
Pg. 4, col. 3:
   My suggestion would be for a good aggressive mayor, after elected, make a
bee line to the chamber of commerce and appoint some live wires that will grab
a root and growl and put Reno on a solid foundation.

SOMETHING IN THE MILK AIN'T CLEAN

SOMETHING IN THE MILK AIN'T CLEAN--34 Google hits, 19 Google Groups hits
MILK AIN'T CLEAN--40 Google hits, 20 Google Groups hits

   Another regionalism I haven't heard in NYC.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/amerispeak/food.htm
THEY SAID: Something in the milk ain't clean!
WE SAY: Something seems amiss.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
(No hits--ed.)

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
I Am
... Mrs. Blue, when she'd call me every night at home,speaking to the various
injustices
in town,would always say, "Hmm hmm hmm Miss Judy--the milk ain't clean". ...
soc.culture.malaysia - Jan 18, 2004 by t m z z - View Thread (1 article)

Playist - WNCU Blue Monday show for Monday, February 16th
... Ichiban (98) 15. Something In The Milk Ain't Clean - Drink Small - The
Blues Doctor To My Friends - Drinktron Publishing 16. All Dried ...
bit.listserv.blues-l - Feb 25, 2004 by Marc Lee - View Thread (2 articles)

Re: The Trivia Torment Continues...
... But if he was a BONA FIDE candy date for guvner then he HAD to be a
registered
voter, so that was all a scam to... something in the milk ain't clean...
alt.fan.howard-stern - Oct 26, 1997 by John McCarthy - View Thread (1 article)

The Week Online with DRCNet, Issue #90
... of the Federal Sentencing Commission that mandatory minimum sentencing
ought
to be eliminated, noted that "something in the milk ain't clean." Rep. ...
rec.drugs.announce - May 7, 1999 by DRCNet - View Thread (1 article)