Rode hard, put away wet (1958); Zigged, should have zagged (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 11 08:55:54 UTC 2004

RODE HARD, PUT AWAY WET

RODE HARD, PUT--929 Google hits, 258 Google Groups hits
RODE HARD AND PUT--3,140 Google hits, 2,180 Google Groups hits

   I have a book of sports idioms right here.  Neither one of these two is in
the OED.
   Why does the same 1958 citation have "put away wet" and "out up wet"?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Frederick Post - 1/22/1997
...ings Some wrote to tell how they d "RODE HARD AND PUT up wet. 'to how the>
're.....a Some wrote to tell how they'd been 'RODE HARD AND PUT up to how
they're 'grinning like.....a c Her favorite tnan a bar o; soap after a HARD day
of was I poorer a ,u, entire subi.....nivs rnr.re diverse, she says i do rhis
to PUT 1 think Faulkner did it to AND make them..
Frederick, Maryland Wednesday, January 22, 1997  421 k

News - 1/22/1997
...Some wrote to tell how they'd been "RODE HARD AND PUT up wet." to how
they're.....a Some wrote to tell how they'd been 'RODE HARD AND PUT up to how
they're 'grinning like.....She's no bigger than a bar of soap after a HARD day of
If someone is "poorer than a.....around "like a duck after a June didn't "PUT
all their eggs in the same basket" AND..
Frederick, Maryland Wednesday, January 22, 1997  687 k

Mountain Democrat - 9/6/1989
...car. The Udder Guys, Men of Pause, RODE HARD AND PUT Away Wet, Raw Sewage
need AND.....Coach Dave Clarke's El Dorado squad was hit HARD by graduation,
AND the Cougars will rely.....second consecutive SFL championship. To PUT it
bluntly, the Bruins are loaded. They.....forwards Mike Munoz, Robbie Moots AND
Frank Cordes are also back AND should..
Placerville, California Wednesday, September 06, 1989  670 k

Lancaster Eagle Gazette - 12/24/1958
...of rocking chairs. feel like1 I been RODE HARD AND PUT away wet. ready
signed up tight.....ironing Now at last you can take the HARD, time-consuming
work out of ironing.....AND her parents. Mr. AND the cottage of Mr. AND Mrs.
Heri- William Elder AND Mr. AND Mrs.....AND Karen chased during the year, AND Mr.
AND Mrs. Herbert George. Sue. Scott Wyeth AND..
Lancaster, Ohio Wednesday, December 24, 1958  730 k

Salisbury Times - 7/24/1958
...rocking chairs." "I feel like I txfen RODE HARD AND PUT up wet." "She's
built like a.....igned a contract with Warne rothers AND was PUT into a sma ole
in "Darby's Rangers." The.....with crisp bacon AND hot buttered toast. PUT the
buttered toast in a low oven to keep.....exciting afternoon for the two boys
aged 8 AND 9. Then Patrolman Ben Way arrested them..
Salisbury, Maryland Thursday, July 24, 1958  596 k

Lancaster Eagle Gazette - 7/24/1958
...rocking chairs." "I feel like1 I been RODE HARD AND PUT away wet." ready
signed up tight.....ironing Now at last you can take the HARD, time-consuming
work out of ironing.....AND her parents. Mr. AND the cottage of Mr. AND Mrs.
Heri- William Elder AND Mr. AND Mrs.....AND Karen chased during the year, AND
Mr. AND Mrs. Herbert George. Sue. Scott Wyeth AND..
Lancaster, Ohio Thursday, July 24, 1958  730 k

ZIGGED, SHOULD HAVE ZAGGED

SHOULD HAVE ZAGGED--964 Google hits, 1,010 Google Groups hits

   Story of my life.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Portland Press Herald - 5/30/1948
...County Farm Day Zigged, He SHOULD HAVE ZAGGED THE DAY Around Day Farm With
A Camera.....soon ---or too late. KUCSS I ziRged when 1 .SHOULD HAVE the
mode.st vctrrah said, with n.....distributors of dairy products tnall lines, HAVE
Joined, whole hearf.Pd.ly a program to.....surgeons and nurses combined to
dec.ccc he SHOULD live. While bin body mended, the..
Portland, Maine Sunday, May 30, 1948  728 k

Harlan News Advertiser - 3/19/1957
...attendent; V-i IZiggedWhen I SHOULD HAVE ZAGGED In the summer and fall of
1957, lots.....of poultry reisers who don't HAVE new laying pulfets will feel
'this way.....with -new pullets; To buy early chicks. We HAVE What You Need:
IDEAL CHICKS Topcross..
Harlan, Iowa Tuesday, March 19, 1957  824 k

Chronicle Telegram - 1/4/1968
...Maybe You Zigged When You SHOULD HAVE ZAGGED? So-o-oLots Of Christmas
Bills to Pay.....HAVE won seven of nine season starts and SHOULD HAVE no problem
making Findlay its.....Saturday nights. The two coming opponents HAVE a
composite record of 13-2 for the year.....field a squad with ample height which
SHOULD battle the Pioneers for those rebounds..
Elyria, Ohio Thursday, January 04, 1968  1013 k