Fw: hippie trivia question

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Mar 11 11:51:53 UTC 2004

I received this in the mail from a friend of mine.

Anyone know the answer?

Page Stephens

Thirty (35?) years ago, everyone I knew had a "wineskin"...a suede, leather, or synthetic cover over a neoprene or butyl rubber bladder, with a shoulder cord and a screw lid/spout.  You may remember these.

People used them to transport wine (I am talking about Boone's Farm, Ripple, Gallo, etc. rather than Chateau d'Yquem) to public events where bottles were not allowed but personal searches were rather cursory.

What did we call it?  I vaguely recall it had another name from (Mexican) Spanish...?

If you look it up online now, it is now being marketed as a  "bota."  I am pretty sure that is a newer name.  My Babelfish translator renders "bota" as an adjective meaning "dull."  The diminutive form "botilla" is a bootee.

Please let me know if your memory from that era has fared better than mine.  If not, well, peace and love to you anyway.

John