politically sensitive labels

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 11 18:29:38 UTC 2004

One more conservative buzzword that just struck me after reading
several letters to the editor in yesterday's NYT:  "the gays" from
those favoring a constitutional restriction of marriage to
heterosexuals (or, by the logic of most such letters, to
heterosexuals capable of breeding*), vs. "gay people" from those
opposed to such a restriction.  It always reminds me of earlier uses
of "the Jews", "the blacks", etc.--not slurs per se, but invoking
these as monolithic, non-individuated groups.  In a way, something
similar is going on with "the family" as opposed to "families".

larry horn

*"Marriage by definition is between a man and a woman, in preparation
for bearing and raising the next generation...The main point of
marriage is orderly procreation...Do the gays really want
marriage...?"   I'm assuming the proposed amendment will require
fertility tests for both partners--otherwise, they're just getting
married for love and companionship, and that's not part of the
definition.