Something the cat dragged in (1921); Shooting fish in a barrel (1911)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 12 06:15:19 UTC 2004

SOMETHING THE CAT DRAGGED IN

CAT DRAGGED IN--11,100 Google hits, 7,040 Google Groups hits
DOG DRAGGED IN--245 Google hits, 142 Google Groups hits

   This is listed in the DICTIONARY OF SPORTS IDIOMS (1993, pg. 104) as from
"hunting," but no date is given.  OED has one mention of "something the cat
dragged in" from 1973.
   I had a cat, but all it did was sleep and eat.  It didn't drag in
anything.
   Do cats drag in a whole lot more stuff than dogs?  I've heard that dogs
will get your your newspaper, frisbee, maybe even slippers.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mansfield News - 4/25/1921
...contest always look like somethINg the CAT DRAGGED IN? Our observation has
been that.....New York to lad., wheelINg her two children IN a baby carriage,
termINated IN Elizabeth.....extended for a j accident to the carriage IN
Elizabeth figured materially IN Mrs. Alien.....than people now live ia patched
houses, IN cellars and IN hats, constructed by the..
Mansfield, Ohio Monday, April 25, 1921  688 k

Marion Star - 4/25/1921
...beauty contest alwiys look like somethINg CAT DRAGGED IN? out tools. I 4
IB addition to.....credits, lINd fINancial j IN operations IN connection willi
Buell trade, Trade i IN.....by frr.grofs lila IN extraction, share? IN ihis
"iroi.rovc-.j-r-. el fottcrncfj IN.....No. lim HIJMF COnnCE. Daily Proverb IN
honestly, lill IJO raaii'; IN K'-.'bhors..
Marion, Ohio Monday, April 25, 1921  590 k

SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL

SHOOT FISH IN A BARREL-349 Google hits, 642 Google Groups hits
SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL--12,700 Google hits, 17,600 Google Groups hits

   The DICTIONARY OF SPORTS IDIOMS (pg. 102) has 1939.
   OED ("miserable on food"--oops, "miserable on sports") has nothing?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Sheboygan Daily Press - 6/30/1911
...wheAt iA this country is like shootINg FISH IN A bArrel. ThAt's the kINd
of A yeAr I.....first corner he spied Bessie's Aunt, book IN hAnd, com fortAbly
ensconced IN A hAmmock.....IN A Tree. PhilAdelphiA. Accosted by trAmps IN A
smAll strip of woods IN GermAntown.....grAy wAtered silk or grAy sAtIN And
mounted IN gun metAl And, IN dull gilt. The gun metAl..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin Friday, June 30, 1911  983 k