subject-verb agreement - stridden

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Mar 12 15:36:07 UTC 2004

From:    Steve Boatti <Ittaob at AOL.COM>

: A very amusing discussion. I can't help wondering, if "ride" begat
: "ridden", why can't "stride" beget "stridden?"

FTR, "stridden" is what I came up with--but then again, my past tense for
collide is collid[1] and my past of highlight is highlit, so y'all can feel
free to ignore any of my verb intuitions.

But while I won't argue that paradigm gaps are impossible, I think analogy's
a very powerful force--and for stridden, it'd be a *particularly* powerful
one, since it's got both hide-hid-hidden *and* ride-rode-ridden in its
favor.

[1] Seriously. It's strong enough that if I'm reading, say, a newspaper
article aloud to someone, I'll often unconsciously replace collided with
collid.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx