Two shakes of a lamb''s tail (1855); Older than the hills and twice as dusty

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 13 08:35:24 UTC 2004

TWO SHAKES OF A LAMB'S TAIL

TWO SHAKES OF A "LAMB'S TAIL"--2,070 Google hits, 464 Google Groups hits

   The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has "mid-19C+."  This phrase means
"immediately, at once."  Also, "three shakes."  Also, "sheep's tail" or "dog's tail"
or "donkey's tail."
   OED's first "tail shake" is the 1858 PINEY WOODS TAVERN citation below.
   This is quite a colorful American expression.  There's nothing very good
on Newspaperarchive.  I'll check the American Periodical Series later.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Reno Evening Gazette - 2/26/1880
...a story of a Maine man who didn't care TWO SHAKES of a lamb's TAIL about
the newspapers.....to Congress in 1823. It ie set forth in TWO passages of'
that document; which read as.....ignorance as to whether the stranger has a TAIL
or not. Donate do not all hare TAILs.....are in Herat; The Russians are in
Merv. TWO thousand police in plain clothes, most of..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, February 26, 1880  578 k

Weekly Reno Gazette - 3/4/1880
...a story of a Maine maa who didn't care TWO SHAKES of a lamb's TAIL about
the newspapers.....to Congress in 1823. It is set forth in TWO passages of that
document, which road as.....ignorance as to whether the stranger has a TAIL
or not. Comets do not all have TAILs.....spot him. I am glad you have already
twenty-TWO soldiers. Put Springfield rifles into..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, March 04, 1880  505 k

Daily Nevada State Journal - 4/4/1880
...footing than for a long A man who core TWO SHAKES of a TAIL the will ride
fourteen miles.....of a weekly that spoke of him as prominent TWO sons of the
Prince of Wales are expected.....men in the companies being hit for while TWO
other noblemen who have just died had.....PHYSICIAN AMD of Went WEBSTER A T TO
t on TWO below UN TINWARE IRON ROOFING AND..
Reno, Nevada Sunday, April 04, 1880  347 k

Saint Joseph Herald - 2/28/1880
...teach me. A Maine man, who didn't care TWO SHAKES of a lamb's TAIL about
the newspapers.....gives us an account of a fight between TWO young men on the
McAndrews farm. TWO.....with wavy belts harmoniously tinted, while TWO moons
far apart on the right, and TWO.....fair; And stab ourselves with sorrow s TWO
-edged And yet a little patience..
Saint Joseph, Michigan Saturday, February 28, 1880  1160 k

Star Sentinel - 4/8/1880
...suit. A MAIXE man who didn't care TWO SHAKES of a lamb's TAIL about the
newspapers.....AM) .-K.VTiNJSL Office For Sale_or TIIK TWO-STOUY BRICK
UWKIjLING. nn itultlinorc i.....for us. On ilo account be sparing of grave SHAKES of
the head and plenty of medicine.....a sociable temperament; and as I had about
TWO hundred and fifty pounds a year of my own..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Thursday, April 08, 1880  919 k

Globe - 2/4/1880
...Post. A Maine man who didn't care TWO SHAKES of a dead lamb's TAIL about
newspapers..
Atchison, Kansas Wednesday, February 04, 1880  309 k

Delta Herald - 10/10/1884
...skin off a full grown tomato in aboui TWO SHAKES of a lamb's TAIL."
Tomatoes were.....the most intense interest. The way these TWO States vote nest
Tuesday must have a very.....Business has doubled j within ft year or TWO. Several
new buildI ings have lately gone.....cannery of W. S. White ford, about TWO
miles west of town, where we found the..
Delta, Pennsylvania Friday, October 10, 1884  848 k

Fort Wayne Gazette - 10/26/1884
...vamoose outer that air chair in less'n TWO SHAKES or a steer's TAIL, I'll
break yer up.....her tasks will ?ave and igrow old ant see TWO or tkbae
generations her mistresses fade.....reluctance to use the word one or TWO, if their
own statements are to be.....days before the battle the braves shall eat TWO
eagle heads, in order to acquire tho..
Fort Wayne, Indiana Sunday, October 26, 1884  945 k

Helena Independent - 12/11/1880
...BOUTS. A MAINE man, who didn't care THREE SHAKES ot a lamb's TAIL tor the
newspapers.....MAIN STREET, HELENA, M. T. ONE, TWO AND THREE ACRE LOT3 IN
GRAND AND MONTANA AVENUE.....Rcildence Lot. FOUIl LOTS ON HIGH STREET. THREE LOTS
ON BENTON AVENUI. TWO LOTS ON.....Status. shall be permitted nny time within
THREE months after such restoration, and..
Helena, Montana Saturday, December 11, 1880  663 k

Marion Daily Star - 6/9/1881
...Boston Post. A man, who didn't care THREE SHAKES of a lamb's TAIL for the
newspapers.....oops of wide dark satin ribbon outside, or THREE curled tips,
and a velvet lcing in the.....tree had lived 135'years In the first sixty-THREE
years, while it had stood in the dense.....an inch in thickness whereas, in
the first THREE years, they had averagec but 7-100 ths..
Marion, Ohio Thursday, June 09, 1881  697 k

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Bennett, Emerson, (1822-1905): The Phantom of the Forest (1868) 1 match in 1
of 511 pages
CHAPTER XXX.
ing again!" / "Ef you'll only go to sleep, like a decent Christian, it 'll be
morning in about two shakes of a dorg's tail!" said Tom. / "I will do my
best," sighed Henry, "for I know the fo

Print Source:   The wonderful adventures of Captain Priest
Hammett, Samuel Adams,
New York : H. Long, 1855.
Pg. 103:  "By the 'living jingo' I'll make 'em, and in two shakes of a
marlinspike, too."

Anderson, Florence: Zenaida (1858) 1 match in 1 of 374 pages
CHAPTER XXV.
nto the country a couple of miles. Take this note and give it to Mrs.
Bernard, and be back again in three shakes of a sheep's tail. Do you hear?" / "Yes, I
hears, Massa Bruce," replied Pluto; "bu

Print Source:   Piney Woods tavern, or, Sam Slick in Texas
Hammett, Samuel Adams,
Philadelphia : T.B. Peterson, 1858.
Pg. 81:  He looked mighty like the gin-cocktail the barkeeper mixed up fer
him, and that war _down in the mouth_. in three shakes of a dog's tail, by the
watch; then tuk another to keep that straight, and 't warn't long afore the
groceries begin to separate.

Dupuy, Eliza A. (1814-1881): The Mysterious Marriage (1858) 1 match in 1 of
110 pages
CHAPTER XIX. JOSEPHINE'S STORY.
y else that comes up you can let 'em pass." / "I'll come for to go to git to
do it in less nor three shakes of a ribnosed sheeps tail." / "That's right,
now for fun." / Bruin returned t

Kinzie, John H., Mrs. (1806-1870): Mark Logan, the Bourgeois (1871) 1 match
in 1 of 677 pages
CHAPTER XLII.
if not, you'll do as you are ordered—for you'll be reported to the colonel in
less than three shakes of a goose's tail, if you don't stir your stumps." /
"And I tell you," cried Micha

Print Source:   Fisher's River (North Carolina)
Taliaferro, Hardin E.,
New York : Harper, 1859.
Pg. 75:  So I tuk off his clothin' in three shakes of a sheep's tail.

OLDER THAN THE HILLS AND TWICE AS DUSTY

TWICE AS DUSTY--78 Google hits, 109 Google Groups hits

   Sometimes used with "hills" and sometimes with "mountains."
   I don't see a great cite here.  Surely it's older than 1970.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
clearfield_progress_ - 8/5/1919
...after feat. Andy wAS AS loose AS AShes and TWICE AS DUSTY and wAS used AS
the king pin.....returns in "The She-Devil" Drive A Car "AS Good AS New."
That's Ae way we'll make.....of many thrilling stunts. AS the "point" of 1 the
pyramid Andy..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania Tuesday, August 05, 1919  822 k

Red Bluff Daily News - 10/15/1970
...of theater is old AS the hills and TWICE AS DUSTY. Anything so obvious
can't be very.....meetings to provide reserve officers AS skilled AS the regular
deputies they will.....find time for Homecoming. This may come AS somewhat of
a shock to some of you, but..
Red Bluff, California Thursday, October 15, 1970  650 k

Delphos Daily Herald - 6/21/1894
...with twenty times more wants, is in reality TWICE AS poor. TUB Idea that a
diseASe.....Vom which he must emeree at the roof AS DUSTY AS a iciller. Tbe
bar berry, in a.....where it is the .custom to have ice cream TWICE a week for
dessert, the principal.....wAS enacted in some European countries AS early AS
1813. THE woman suffrage..
Delphos, Ohio Thursday, June 21, 1894  1021 k

Decatur Review - 8/5/1920
...TWICE ESTIMATE. The lASt job wAS more than TWICE AS much AS the original
estimate. All.....increASed considerably. With the roads AS DUSTY AS they are
now, a cloud forms when.....ASide in order to get out 100 of these cars AS soon
AS possible. When finished, they will.....agrees to pay down and 8100 a year
rental AS long AS the city shall keep the truck. In..
Decatur, Illinois Thursday, August 05, 1920  730 k

Lethbridge Herald - 7/16/1951
...got The road to Waterton. via Cardston, is TWICE AS good AS you've been
led to believe.....to the townsite. Full of holes and AS DUSTY a desert during a
hurricane, this road.....Alberta's June and July snows are getting TWICE AS
mucn publicity in the EAStern press.....not w'e are growing in national
population AS fASt AS the rapid development of our..
Lethbridge, Alberta Monday, July 16, 1951  779 k

Ironwood Daily Globe - 10/15/1970
...of theater is old AS the hills and TWICE AS DUSTY. Anything so obvious
can't be very.....her: Keraftn wore her wedding sister AS matron of honor and:
the quantities, AS do.....Milwaukee, a Photo-Guide is in One Size. AS son, John
ThomAS, Oct. 8. Mrs. shown..
Ironwood, Michigan Thursday, October 15, 1970  845 k

Frederick Post - 3/24/1969
...it pointed where the way Would drop and TWICE AS narrow ciose About one,
while ahead.....i hat ounce of treble gleeUntil a pair AS DUSTY And bare AS
feet can be (Like two small.....wAS the oldest of the congregation, indeed, AS
far AS I know) he wAS the oldest person in.....poseo On arms that HttU lacked to
be AS thin AS what wAS posed, Into that evening..
Frederick, Maryland Monday, March 24, 1969  695 k

clearfield_progress_ - 8/5/1919
...after feat. Andy wAS AS loose AS AShes and TWICE AS DUSTY and wAS used AS
the king pin.....returns in "The She-Devil" Drive A Car "AS Good AS New."
That's Ae way we'll make.....of many thrilling stunts. AS the "point" of 1 the
pyramid Andy..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania Tuesday, August 05, 1919  822 k

Daily Report - 10/15/1970
...of theater is old AS the hills and TWICE AS DUSTY. Anything so obvious
can't be very.....imbalance. For them, it is merely natural. AS to the menopause,
the female hormone.....is more dominant, depending on sex.) Thus AS the male
hormone gains, comparatively..
Ontario, California Thursday, October 15, 1970  704 k

New Oxford Item - 8/7/1919
...weighs about 14 pounds. The human brain is TWICE AS large AS that of any
animal. Tobacco.....worms to fall into and it should be kept AS DUSTY AS
possible by dragging a log through.....jaw and an opportunity to drive my weapon
TWICE more against the hairy face. The pain.....singing AS he worked, and before
noon I had AS cheerful a ship's crew forward AS any man..
New Oxford, Pennsylvania Thursday, August 07, 1919  826 k