Charles Carson's surgery

Sat Mar 13 15:40:59 UTC 2004

Many of you have had the pleasure of working with Charles Carson, the
managing editor of American Dialect Society Publications, for the past many years.
I'm writing to report that Charles will be out of commission for at least a week
or so as the result of complications of gall-bladder surgery. Those of you
who have been following John Ashcroft's surgery in the newspapers know that this
is usually a relatively simple procedure, one in which someone in his 30s
would normally go home from the hospital the next day. Charles's surgery did not
go as planned, and while he seems to be well on his way to recovery, he is
still in the hospital and will (assuming that all goes well and the danger of
infection passes) be recovering at home next week.

I doubt that he will be reading any e-mail until next week, but well-wishes
may send him messages that he will I'm sure be heartened to see when he opens
his Duke message box at:

<carson at duke.edu>.

Cards will reach him at his home address:

710 East Hammond Street
Durham, NC 27704.

I don't know if his mother has come up to North Carolina from Florida for the
surgery (I'm in Florida and haven't been able to visit him in the hospital),
but he is receiving excellent support from his multitude of North Carolina
friends, and especially his loving and devoted partner Zac, who is keeping those
of us who are on Charles's e-mail list of just how Charlie is doing.