When the Dead Sea was only sick (1948?); Rooster socks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 15 03:49:20 UTC 2004

WHEN THE DEAD SEA WAS ONLY SICK

WHEN THE DEA SEA WAS + SICK--282 Google hits, 114 Google Groups hits

   I'm going through an excellent article on FACTIVA:
"TALK OF TEXAS: Dognation!  Old sayings rain in like for Noah" by Carol Rust, HOUSTON CHRONICLE, 5 April 1992. (It's long.)
   "Hector" isn't here, but there are three "long time" phrases:

When the Dead Sea was just sick.
Since Patton was a private.
Since Jesus was a baby.

(FACTIVA)
Nobel hits home // Fermilab head, 2 others share award for physics
Jim Ritter
792 words
Chicago Sun-Times
FIVE STAR SPORTS FINAL
1
English
(Copyright 1988)

Leon Lederman was in typical form Wednesday, mixing jokes with physics as he discussed his Nobel Prize.

"I knew I would get the Nobel when I noticed that the three doctors who won for medicine are all in their 80s," said Lederman, 66. "This is the year for the geriatric Nobel Prize. . . . I'm so old I can remember when the Dead Sea was only sick."

(FACTIVA)
WHEN TALKING TEXAN, THIS DOG'LL HUNT
Kent Biffle
1,391 words
The Dallas Morning News
HOME FINAL
37a
English
(Copyright 1989)

Writer Wallace Chariton of Plano is soooooo Texan. He sent a low-bidding Indiana printer a book manuscript to go on the press and a bag of Texas dirt to go under it.

When the dust settled, Wally's book was, yes, printed on Texas soil.

This Dog'll Hunt is Wally's Texas dictionary, a tow sack full of memorable sayings he treed in Texas.
(...)
*Elderly -- He was around when the Dead Sea was just sick.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
(Someone please check.  It looks like a legitimate Earl Wilson piece. though...I'm having problems signing on.  I have to re-join Newspaperarchive each time I use it at NYU?--ed.)
Times Recorder - 11/24/1948
...been around so long she WAS THEre WHEN THE DEAD SEA WAS embalmed That's earl, broTHEr.....THE state's highest court WHEN he filed for THE Senate. He WAS named to THE court in 1944.....for THE trend toward locating factories in THE nation's smaller communities. THE trend.....Two WAS company anri three WAS a columnist WHEN Charmin' Sharman Douglas WAS dated at El..
Zanesville, Ohio   Wednesday, November 24, 1948  818 k

SOCKS ON A ROOSTER (continued)

   I'll try to look through this book for what/when it considers the source:

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Socks on a rooster;
Louisiana's Earl K. Long,