Creeks don't rise (1892); Ugly as homemade sin (1890); Licked red off your candy

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 18 10:29:49 UTC 2004

CREEKS DON'T RISE

   Gerald Cohen and David Wilton based asked about this, but I couldn't find
a better answer in the archives.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Portsmouth Times - 8/6/1892
...no preventing providence and the CREEKS DON'T RISE" he will get into the
new.....f people that will go out to hear Iiim. iVe DON'T know about this; we
never aw it tried.....accommodating and painstaking official. We DON'T knowin
what business Mr. McColm will..
Portsmouth, Ohio   Saturday, August 06, 1892  715 k

UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN

   Nothing beats homemade.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)("homemade")
Ironwood Daily Globe - 12/11/1967
...she works with." This means, "She's UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN.' "She is eAS
y-going, low-key.....L Voyce My two them it is all right with me AS long AS they
act like responsible citizens.....of Ewen High School and is eniployed AS
secretary at the Dynamatic Division of..
Ironwood, Michigan Monday, December 11, 1967  794 k

Newark Daily Advocate - 8/16/1896
...that wus lazy AS er fattenin hog an UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN. 'Twus that way
she got her come.....uppance. Besides keepin her po' AS Job's turkey he turned
out ter be AS mean.....enthusiASm of horsemanship The motion wAS AS unlike AS
possible to Blacky's coblike.....yo' eoul, she Icved to be waited on same AS
ef she owned 20 niggers. AS I started ter..
Newark, Ohio Sunday, August 16, 1896  857 k

Gazette And Bulletin - 1/24/1945
...wai described AS red middleaged and UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN. (Erlenbush wAS
in the thick of.....is somewhat of a gamble, with the weather AS the .chief
determining factor in suen U.S.....of acres of land jsed by the government AS a
site tor the Pennsylvania Ordnance Works..
Williamsport, Pennsylvania Wednesday, January 24, 1945  856 k

Daily Times News - 1/13/1972
...Strong AS an ox. .Play possum. .UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN. .Hook, line and SIN
ker. .Work.....candidates and those in office is not AS simple AS publicly
identifying private.....identify themselves with private interests AS long AS
those interests are not in.....Parting Shots Remember, only a country AS rich AS
the United States could afford to..
Burlington, North Carolina   Thursday, January 13, 1972  670 k

Holland Evening Sentinel - 12/11/1967
...works with." jThis means, ''She's UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN." "She is eAS
y-going, low-key.....of the chores performed I by WAShington. i AS far AS many
millions of citizens are.....us to keep an eye on what we spend at home AS well AS
that which we. spend in WAShington.....and he gets an allowance, which is
almost AS much AS my salary, but he never seems to..
Holland, Michigan Monday, December 11, 1967  856 k

Lima News - 1/18/1972
...If Olivia de Havilland were AS UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN, still she'd be hard
to resist.....your mental machinery. This means marijuana AS well AS harder
stuff. And even if you can.....of trouble over this question. I'll put it AS
simply AS possible. Is it fair for a woman..
Lima, Ohio Tuesday, January 18, 1972  585 k

Coshocton Tribune - 12/11/1967
...she works with." This means, "She's UGLY AS HOMEMADE SIN." "She is eAS
y-going, low-key.....service, every Sunday ette. (morning AS well AS training Both
Miss Adams and Mr. i.....help you find and claim the Bible promises AS yours,
bringing you joy and peace and..
Coshocton, Ohio Monday, December 11, 1967  915 k

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)("home made")
Lima News - 9/14/1936
...to use the old expression, AS UGLY AS HOME-MADE SIN. And the proof of this
lies in.....AJTSWEM Blood Tonic la It possible to your ,HOME MADE blood tonic
so long AS to become.....10 'bbag 19c Potatoes Quality, Feck 43c HOME MADE
Cookies 2 do, 25c Valley Maid Oleo.....The benefits of advertiSINg had MADE
themselves manifest in each step forward..
Lima, Ohio Monday, September 14, 1936  763 k

Middletown Times Herald - 3/22/1932
...for leather scrappers, and both are UGLY AS HOME MADE SIN. tiring the
first seven Yankees.....he's bathed and dressed and headed for HOME. The boys have
but two in common. Both.....GIANTS TAKE T1CFJGU3 LOS ANGKU23 Giants MADE It
two in a. rov over Uiff Detroit.....runs chASed across the plate. Gehj rig's
HOME run with two men on. wAS the bissest..
Middletown, New York   Tuesday, March 22, 1932  811 k

Lafayette Advertiser - 12/20/1890
...have, ma'am1. Ai boy sed yer wuz UGLY AS HOME MADE SIN an' I jest gave it
to him. I.....s immensely rich.. do you Clerk is old and UGLY, and wifo is
young and York v' WASTED.....awoke to consciousness again. He wAS at his HOME in
Tomsburg. Two sweet faces were.....foot upon the -sand, go v Wlien Sim had
MADE known what his sister had eaid, another..
Lafayette, Louisiana Saturday, December 20, 1890  861 k

Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune - 9/16/1936
...to use the old expression, AS UGLY AS HOME-MADE SIN. And the proof of this
lies in.....a threa-day visit at tea William Btissell HOME. Sprague Duke
Harrison MADE a buSINess I.....2 Forearm bone. 3 Observed. 4 Bird's HOME. 5
Bundle. 6 SINce. 7 Fiber knots. Gives.....Monte Blaine i air. There wAS a
missionary, HOME f deed he had once been heard to say..
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Wednesday, September 16, 1936  895 k

Sandusky Daily Register - 7/22/1890
...Yes, ma'am. A boy sed yer wuz UGLY AS HOME MADE SIN, an' I Jest give it to
him.....Parker travels alone, and wAS on his way HOME after a swing
around-the circle, his.....of One Dollar and upwards received Loans MADE on short and
long time upon rea state.....Epiphany. Some time ago Dr. Burtsell wAS MADE
defender of the marriage tie, being the..
Sandusky, Ohio Tuesday, July 22, 1890  1184 k

Sandusky Daily Register - 7/25/1890
...Yes, ma'am. A boy sed yor wuz UGLY AS HOME MADE SIN, an' I jesi give it to
him.....took all the snap out t' Samson, Johnnie A HOME MADE air cut, Yonkere
Statesman.....intelligence and morality of tho people. HOME of our little
cities are beyond.....in a considerable degree by the charges MADE against the
defendant.and hence the..
Sandusky, Ohio Friday, July 25, 1890  1122 k

WHO LICKED THE RED OFF YOUR CANDY?

LICKED THE RED OFF + CANDY--75 Google hits, 144 Google Groups hits

   Is this one from a song title?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Playground Daily News - 1/20/1969
...and THE right thinking voters LICKED THE RED OFF Wallace and LeMav's CANDY
and put.....course, that wrong thinking, hard headed, RED necked, no account
George Wallace and his.....group for anoTHEr term, Webber shrugged OFF THE
impressive growth of THE organization.....worth of diamonds. THE 42year-old Kamm
took OFF in hot pursuit. THE thief, seeing that he..
Fort Walton Beach, Florida Monday, January 20, 1969  729 k

Playground Daily News - 10/21/1968
...I said. "You act like somebody LICKED THE RED OFF your CANDY." "It's this
election said.....7 Muse of poetry 8 Crown of head 9 Loss of RED blood cells
10 Only 11 Growls 1 fi_Footcd.....later In THE day TAURUS (Apr. 20-May Now Is
THE time to get to THE core of your health.....YOU Ml JEFE, BIG WHAT.' MY CHICO
HAS ROBBED THE SILVER MINE? OWNER OF THE MINr. BAILEY By..
Fort Walton Beach, Florida Monday, October 21, 1968  778 k

(WWW.LOC.GOV)
Big man in country music [sound recording] / Little Jimmy Dickens.
New York, N.Y. : Columbia, [1968?]
1 sound disc : analog, 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ; 12 in.

Who licked the "red" off your candy : what really drives violence in America
and what you can do to stop it / Richard C. Staver.
Fernandina Beach, Fla. : Staver Productions, c2001.
229 p. ; 21 cm.