Needs + past part. in New England?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Mar 19 12:39:57 UTC 2004

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
: On Mar 18, 2004, at 6:40 AM, Joanne M. Despres wrote:

:: Has anybody else seen this expression used north of NJ?  This
:: morning I opened a mailing from a Toyota dealership in Greenfield,
:: MA that contained the phrase "needs serviced."  I assume these
:: flyers are published locally, because the Toyota dealership in
:: Northampton sends mailings offering its own service deals (usually
:: for a higher price).

:: FWIW, Greenfield is definitely more "countrified" than Noho.

: maybe it's spreading out from its original territory in the u.s. (a
: band going from western pennsylvania west to, roughly, iowa).  even
: here in california!...

And eastward, too. This isn't north of NJ, but Jeanne (my wife) and her
siblings all *occasionally* use NEEDS Xed in casual speech; they all grew up
in Aberdeen, Maryland (far northern exurbs of Baltimore) in the 70s and 80s.
(The one who, in my casual observation, uses it the most is Jeanne's younger
sister, born at the end of the 70s.) Their mother (grew up in Salt Lake
City, Utah in the 50s) absolutely detests the construction, and I've never
heard her use it except to criticize it.

<snip>

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx