Nacatamales (1945); Ranger Cookies (1950); Hard Knocks School (1878)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 21 01:16:03 UTC 2004

RANGER COOKIES (continued)

   I forgot to check Newspaperarchive.
   FWIW: Every Newspaperarchive "chilighetti" hit is from the 1970s.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Cedar Rapids Gazette - 9/11/1955
...Mr. and Mrs. Royal Russell Their favorites: RANGER COOKIES. 1 cup shortening 1 cup white.....in Wisconsin. I to keep a supply of COOKIES oni Mr. and Mrs. Charles ZimmerJ hand.....warm milk. Add nutmeats and vanilla. Drop COOKIES on greased cooky sheet and bake at..
Cedar Rapids, Iowa   Sunday, September 11, 1955  537 k

Kossuth County Advance - 9/25/1952
...Farm TOMATO JUICE tr 29c fOA SUGGESTS RANGER COOKIES GRANULATED SUGAR 99c 10-lb Bag..
Algona, Iowa   Thursday, September 25, 1952  698 k

Lethbridge Herald - 3/31/1951
...Makes 4 dozen 2-inch COOKIES. RANGER COOKIES enriched allBrown sugar, 1 cup.....KEEP THE COOKIE JAB FILLED Spicy Fruit COOKIES Dried prunes, moist Salt, teaspoon..
Lethbridge, Alberta   Saturday, March 31, 1951  665 k

Bradford Era - 12/14/1951
...past 15 years. Mrs. Guyer ces-: cribes her RANGER COOKIES ss ones -which well and are.....who hear a tinual cry for homemade COOKIES are offered a suggestion J from Mrs.....ally good to mail to servicemen. j RAXGER COOKIES I I Ingredients: 1 cup shortening. 1.....you want to pay. o6e nc. KIDDIES CHRISTMAS COOKIES SANTAS TREES STARS BELLS Munchy..
Bradford, Pennsylvania   Friday, December 14, 1951  661 k

Iowa City Press Citizen - 1/21/1950
...Continued from Preceding Page RANGER COOKIES 1 cup butter 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown.....in an oven heated to 350 degrees. Spritz COOKIES 1 cup butter or margarine ?i cup.....or a damp cloth over the bot torn) or the COOKIES'' may be pui through a cookie press..
Iowa City, Iowa   Saturday, January 21, 1950  275 k

Iowa City Press Citizen - 3/18/1952
...been favorites in our home for years, with RANGER COOKIES a close second. Been some time.....since I gave you that RANGER cookie recipe, hasn't it? Maybe.....wonder what would be the favorite of al Kj COOKIES, if we could get a vote Ion it? My.....some French chocolate to drink with the COOKIES or do you prefer cold milk? French..
Iowa City, Iowa   Tuesday, March 18, 1952  514 k

NACATAMAL

NACATAMALES--993 Google hits, 202 Google Groups hits

   I briefly looked into Nicaraguan materials at the NYPL today.  The revised OED (now well into the letter "n") doesn't have this?  There will be _no_ explanation anywhere of the regional tamale names--even though they're also used by English speakers?

(GOOGLE)
http://www.culinary-cooking-schools-institutes.com/history_tamales.html
   The different regional names for tamales are:

Nicaragua
Nacatamal

Guatemala
Paches and Chuchitos

Bolivia and Ecuador
Humita

Columbia
Bollo

Cuba, Mexico, South and Central America
Tamal

Michoacan, Mexico
Corunda

Veracruz, Mexico
Zacahull

Venezuela
Hallaca

MANAGUA (One in a series of pamphlets on Central America--ed.)
Pan American Union, Washington, D. C.
1945
Pg. 12:  One of the attractions of the business section is the large market on Calle Central, a block east of Avenida Roosevelt.  Practically all the products of Nicaragua are to be found here.  One may buy pork and poultry and such staples as beans, rice, tortillas, and frijoles, and the Nicaraguan form of hot tamales, _nacatamales_, which are deliciously cooked in banana leaves.

SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS

   I was just reading SOCKS ON A ROOSTER: LOUISIANA'S EARL K. LONG (1967) and it says that the Longs went to the School of Hard Knocks.  OED has "School of Hard Knocks" from 1912 (George Ade).  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has "20C."

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
THE UNIVERSITY OF HARD KNOCKS.
Advocate of Peace (1847-1906). Washington: Nov/Dec 1878. Vol. 9, Iss. 5; p. 2 (1 page)

BELLE FRASER'S GIRLHOOD.; GOING FOR A DRIVE. MISS MINNETTE.
HOLLIS FREEMAN. Godey's Lady's Book (1883-1892). New York: May 1887. Vol. 114, Iss. 683; p. 453 (8 pages)
Pg. 456: "Ah, yes, but I have received my outside coating of wisdom by graduating in the college of hard knocks.  There's nothing like that to take the gilt off your best peep-show."

KENNEL.; DOGS OF TO-DAY--THE AIREDALE TERRIER.
NOMAD. Outing, an Illustrated Monthly Magazine of Recreation (1885-1906). New York: Jul 1899. Vol. 34, Iss. 4; p. 415 (2 pages)
Pg. 415:  The colliers were a rough, hardy set, ready for anything, and their favorite dogs were bright disciples of the school of hard knocks.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Hornellsville Weekly Tribune - 2/28/1890
...or Harvard you got in tbe UNIVERSITY OF HARD KNOCKS. Go among successful merchants.....OF persons did After ancxpot-itiijii by Dr. OF passages OF Scripture descriptive OF the.....What the greatest OF Englishmen said OF England is true OF America and OF all.....and an_ awakening OF great roll, men OF the jien, IIIRII OF wit, men OF power, if..
Hornellsville, New York   Friday, February 28, 1890  841 k

Sandusky Daily Register - 2/24/1890
...or Harvard you got in the UNIVERSITY OF HARD KNOCKS. Go among successful merchants.....an exposition by Dr. Talmago OF passages OF Scripture deacriptivo OF the influence OF.....Fullness OF Blood In the Head, Acidity OF the Stomach, Nausea, Heartburn, Disgust OF.....OF human happiness, these firmest props OF the duties OF men and citizens. The mere..
Sandusky, Ohio   Monday, February 24, 1890  1319 k

Daily Gazette - 11/11/1885
...unt Ithey graduate at the UNIVERSITY OF HARD KNOCKS. The old poets used to talk OF a.....a? it is iu the difference OF the endowment OF men with that great attribute OF stick'.o.....Buffalo Commercial] An old resident OF one OF the villages OF this county, name.....s general stock OF merchandise: 160 acres OF land, in Stark county. Ind. 22O acres OF..
Fort Wayne, Indiana   Wednesday, November 11, 1885  787 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/13/1905
...to "get there" by attending the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. Certainly the two most.....practical success." He was wise with the HARD wisdom OF the world; and he had the.....good for that part OF the state. Thr story OF Olinghouse is a story OF pluck and.....is well worth the careful consideration OF all young men, and is OF especial..
Reno, Nevada   Tuesday, June 13, 1905  427 k

MEXICAN STRAIGHT

   The HDAS has 1928 for a "Mexican flush," but no "Mexican straight."  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has "20C."

SOCKS ON A ROOSTER:
LOUISIANA'S EARL K. LONG
by Richard B. McCaughan
Baton Rouge: Claitor's Book Store
1967
Pg. 182:  Long telephoned David Rankin and invited the boy to visit him in Louisiana.  Long related:

   If he stays here--Baton Rouge--any time he wants to go home, he can go.  That kid is smart.  You know, he beat me once in a poker game with a Mexican straight.* ... Mexican straight; that's not all you learn while you're in Texas.**

* A Mexican straight is 2-4-6-8-10.
** _Morning Advocate_, July 2, 1959, p. 10-A.