Got up on wrong side of bed (1862)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 21 22:06:29 UTC 2004

WRONG SIDE OF THE BED--12,700 Google hits, 10,600 Google Groups hits

   No, that's not the problem.  The problem was I got up at 4 p.m.  I gotta
go to some War College tomorrow, you know, the whole ten yards.
   This expression hasn't been historically dated.  The wrong side of the bed
is usually the wall.
   It's not in OED.  The editors were too busy eating nacatamales.
   OT:  Me and the wife Jennifer Lopez have a four-poster.

(GOOGLE)
www.bartleby.com
  The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition.  2002.
get up on the wrong side of the bed

To act unpleasant because the day got off to a bad start: “You’d better
avoid the boss today; she got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.”   1

(GOOGLE)
http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-wro1.htm
[Q] From Jim on AOL: “I was hoping you could help me out. You’ve heard about
getting out of the wrong side of bed? What is considered the wrong side? And
could you give me a little history on the saying?”
[A] The wrong side of the bed is the one that leaves you grumpy and
unsociable first thing in the morning (my own has two wrong sides). There are many
similar expressions that begin the wrong side of ..., of which the original seems
to be wrong side of the blanket for a child born illegitimately. Some others
are getting on the wrong side of somebody, the wrong side of the law, laughing
on the wrong side of one’s mouth, and on the wrong side of forty (or thirty,
or fifty, or almost any age, really).All express the idea that there are good
and bad aspects of any situation. A well-known American example, the wrong side
of the tracks, is the only one of the set that seems to be based in a real,
physical location.Some writers say there was once a superstition that to get
out of bed on the left side, the sinister side, led to bad luck, but this sounds
like a well-meaning attempt to explain the mysterious. If there ever was such
a belief, it’s not reflected in the recorded use of the expression, which is
actually not that old; it seems to have been derived from another phrase of
similar type.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mansfield News - 2/25/1910
...She bas THE uti Don't "Get Up on THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED" So OFten. j
One tiling.....not unlovely habit OF "getting up on THE WRONG SIDE OF ocd" to
obtain THE mastery over.....center, a dying Confederate soldier ou one SIDE aud
a weeping woman on THEoTHEr. THE.....would serve THE public, and she would
servo THE employees OF THE Htorc. THE value OF Hfe..
Mansfield, Ohio Friday, February 25, 1910  935 k

Indianapolis Star - 7/21/1916
...for 'tis said If one gets out OF THE WRONG SIDE OF BED In THE morning he
will be grouchy.....but unfortunately chose THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED THE SIDE
next to THE window, which.....about Lydia E. VegetaEvery BED has a right SIDE
and a WRONG SIDE, at least so tradition.....Hospital. BED Near Window; Man
Gets Out WRONG SIDE; ties in Hospital Now JTO1ML WRECK..
Indianapolis, Indiana Friday, July 21, 1916  1065 k

Newark Advocate - 8/7/1905
...He Is surely raising Ned. It's THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED. [Ie is coming
down to.....ve really cause for dreadIt's THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED. Chicago
News. PARSON'S.....has. got out from THE left 'twas THE WRONG SIDE, sure, instead
OF THE right SIDE OF THE.....but he refused to be placated. He went to BED
still sulking, and when he awoke in THE..
Newark, Ohio Monday, August 07, 1905  834 k

Hawaiian Gazette - 9/18/1896
...against THE wall in getting out THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED. R, C. L.
Perkins, THE.....effort to OF BED as quickly as possible, WRONG SIDE, and, in THE
darkness bang; up.....on THE door brought THE young man from BED and when told
that THEre had been a shock.....from some OF THE most remote provinces OF
Chile. On account OF THE closeiesB OF THE..
Honolulu, Hawaii Friday, September 18, 1896  662 k

Daily Independent - 10/5/1909
...nolr your true croole gets up on THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED. He has no
appetite for.....when THE house OF lords was in committee on THE reform bill OF
18C7. THE clerk OF THE.....Approved THE 29th day OF April 187-1 and THE
supplements THEreto, for THE charter OF a.....all THE bonetits and privileges OF THE
aoi OF assembly and its supplements. 119 ;u.w THE..
Monessen, Pennsylvania Tuesday, October 05, 1909  748 k

Edwardsville Intelligencer - 4/26/1901
...had evidently gotten out OF BED from THE WRONG SIDE. Something was THE
matter at least.....water. Since THEn Bob gets out OF THE right SIDE OF THE BED
when morning comes and 'he.....OFfice In Intelligencer Building, South SIDE OF
Court House Sauare. J. E. HILLSKOXTER.....OFfice over Bank OF Edwardsville,
North SIDE Court Square. OFfice telephone 442..
Edwardsville, Illinois Friday, April 26, 1901  725 k

(MAKING OF AMERICA--MICHIGAN)