"That'll be the day" (1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 24 02:26:40 UTC 2004

That'll Be the Day
Buddy Holly & The Crickets

Well, that'll be the day, when you say goodbye
Yes, that'll be the day, when you make me cry
You say you're gonna leave, you know it's a lie
'Cause that'll be the day when I die

   The Chicago Historical Society has my "Windy City" stuff for over two
weeks now and still no reply.  Only a few more days or weeks or years or decades,
I'm thinking, until I get the tiniest among of respect.
   That'll be the day.
   The famous Buddy Holly song is from 1957.  It's said that Holly took the
line from the John Ford-directed John Wayne film THE SEARCHERS (1956).  We'll
search a little further.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE..COM)
Troy Record - 10/12/1943
...Labor Union Local 20.53S. i "THAT'LL BE THE DAY Crossword Puzzle Cocr.
19U. Esso Inc.....THE bird's name "Bullet Proof." ORDER THE DAY Richmond, Va.
John Marshall, reporter on.....to your car that gets more important every DAY...
"EVERY CAR that still runs is an.....on Columbus. OTHEr j prominent Knights
will DAY short addresses. THEre will BE..
Troy, New York   Tuesday, October 12, 1943  877 k
Pg. 3, col. 1:  _Anything Can Happen--And Does_
Pg. 3, col. 6:  The group officers still officially frown on Rea's
anti-Luftwaffe campaign but there are a few side bets among them on whether he will yet
score a victory.
   "It's all for my own amusement," said the sergeant, untroubled by any
doubts himself, "and I'll keep at it until I do get one.
   "That'll be the day."

Council Bluffs Iowa Nonpareil - 4/16/1948
...instead of embalmed minnows. THAT'LL BE THE DAY When Glenn Ford relaxes
from Ills work in.....bomBErs. THE British method is suppiscd to BE very similar
to that used by THE air force.....a line with velght and hook on THE end. THE
Inc forms an arc BEhind THE ilano. THE.....ho bomBEr reels back THE line and
THE hose. THE hose autonatlcally fastens into THE..
Council Bluffs, Iowa   Friday, April 16, 1948  568 k

Zanesville Signal - 12/28/1945
...defeat, and which is found in a DAY-to-DAY history of THE war, once our
armed forces.....for past insults to newsmen. THAT'LL BE THE DAY Big scandal in
music row concerning a.....ceased, while THE Army message of THE same DAY to
General Short stated that THEy.....story of events leading up to that unhappy
DAY is unfolded. A most recent example was..
Zanesville, Ohio   Friday, December 28, 1945  963 k

Lethbridge Herald - 8/12/1942
...of Kellogg's Corn Flakes. THAT'LL BE THE DAY Just wait till sfce tastes
that can't-BE.....eager mind discovers new wonders every DAY. And soon she'll BE
old enough to dig.....and sugar, really helps no sail through THE DAY. Aad
breakfast is always on tune sow that.....here owing to flying conditions. During
THE DAY officials inspected THE military centre..
Lethbridge, Alberta   Wednesday, August 12, 1942  949 k

Frederick Post - 9/12/1943
...him for mayor next year, THAT'LL BE THE DAY S. Billirigsley is.
disillusioned. His.....of THE Jewish War Veterans THE oTHEr DAY. National Commander
Julius Klein of.....married to a medico) expects an image any DAY. She was Tirana
in that MeeSatira.....holler, "Author, and mean him, THEn one DAY he met up
with a young songwrlter who..
Frederick, Maryland   Sunday, September 12, 1943  775 k
Pg. 4, col. 3 (Winchell on Broadway):
   Cong. Marcantonio intends "evening (Col. 4--ed.) things" with O'Dwyer by
running against him for mayor next year.  That'll be the day!

Berkshire Evening Eagle - 10/18/1945
...may BE had for THE asking .'THAT'LL BE THE DAY" .Meanwhile, in spite of
war-imposed.....m P. w 'n o s r. h e a ted en 5. S u n DAY morning, THE
PitLsfielri ChamBEr ofl.....BE paid for any period of time prior to THE date in which
THE additional information.....We're very proud of what we've got and you'll
see mliy with your first tankful of THE..
Pittsfield, Massachusetts   Thursday, October 18, 1945  448 k

Lethbridge Herald - 8/13/1942
...of Kellogg's Com Flakes. THAT'LL BE THE DAY Just wait till site tastes
that can't-BE.....and sugar, really helps me sail through THE DAY. And breakfast
is always on time sow that.....eager mind discovers new wonders every DAY. And
soon shell BE old enough to dig into.....bad weaTHEr. This was special
GrandmoTHErs' DAY and THE program was given by THE children..
Lethbridge, Alberta   Thursday, August 13, 1942  952 k

Lethbridge Herald - 8/12/1942
...of Kellogg's Corn Flakes. THAT'LL BE THE DAY Just wait till sfce tastes
that can't-BE.....eager mind discovers new wonders every DAY. And soon she'll BE
old enough to dig.....and sugar, really helps no sail through THE DAY. Aad
breakfast is always on tune sow that.....here owing to flying conditions. During
THE DAY officials inspected THE military centre..
Lethbridge, Alberta   Wednesday, August 12, 1942  949 k
Pg. 5, cols. 5-8 ad:
"GO ON!  Do something--I dare ya!  Oh, scared, eh!?"  Baby Lois' eager mind
discovers new wonders every day.  And soon she'll be old enough to dig into a
breakfast bowl of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.  That'll be the day!  Just wait till
she tastes that can't-be-matched _flavour_!  How is _your_ supply of Kellogg's?