Do you still beat your wife? (1901)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 25 14:23:04 UTC 2004

At 12:02 AM -0500 3/25/04, Sam Clements wrote:
> [...]

In terms of the actual question (and the point on questions building
in presuppositions), of course it's largely a matter of definition as
to who came up with it first.  For the Megarians (3d century B.C.),
the sophism of choice was "Do you still beat your father? Answer yes
or no."  The scholastics preferred "Do you still beat your ass?" [the
donkey, not fundament].  And for us moderns, "Do you still beat your
wife?"  24 centuries of social progress...

Larry Horn